A thread to find out about what the kids of DiSers are into at the minute

9 and 7 year old boys: Constantly throwing.kicking thing around the house, turning whatever they are doing into a game which, within five minutes, results in the 9 year old taunting the 7 year old to the verge of tears. Also cricket, recently.

3 year old girl: Any tablet, any animals, Pennywise the clown from the film It (2017 version) and those YouTube videos of, presumably, modded GTA where Spiderman is somehow driving a car on a road in the sky and inevitably crashes into the sea or something. Lots of them.

All three of them together: Just noise. Constant noise, all of the time :pleading_face:

5 Likes

:smiley:

1 Like

solidarity :fist:

5 Likes

Son (6.3 years):

• Football (watching, playing)
  • Lego
  • Hama beads
  • Power Rangers
  • Anything competitive
  • Reading (Roald Dahl etc.)
  • Finding out as much as possible about Fortnite even though he’s not allowed to watch/play

Daughter (4.3 years):

• Hair accessories
  • Drawing
  • Facetiming family
  • Toys and Colors on Youtube
  • Role playing school

Both really enjoy bike rides

5 Likes

R is well into this - we had to stop him watching some series because he was getting too violent (and we thought the fightyness was contributing), but he constantly wants to play Power Rangers Dino Charge (which he sings to the tune). He makes M be all the power rangers and I have to be the baddies. I’m never allowed to bond to an energem (crayon) :cry:

1 Like

Puppy Dog Pals is big in our house too

1 Like

yeah we had concerns about the fighting but it’s just so fucking noisy and weird. IDGI, and didn’t really like it when I was a kid either (I think I was a touch too old for it when it first came out).

So many of the programmes they like are so vapid and trashy but I wonder if they just like it as a background noise and way to decompress. It’s so hard to tell especially with lockdown, I don’t think there’s too much harm in it, but it is a bit hard to get them interested in watching something with a little bit more substance, even if it’s not educational. We need TV programmes and YouTube content with hidden vegetables!

1 Like

Same with my 5 yo. He calls it Forknite.

4 Likes

shopkins is pretty vapid. had to ban Winx though, such one dimensional role models for women D:

mostly G watches Miraculous LadyBug

1 Like

I’m permanently in awe of your kids.

1 Like

:heart:

2 Likes

We love puppy dog pals too because bingo and rolly are dolly and zara- but because Dolly went to rainbow bridge a few weeks ago, we’ve been avoiding it :sob:

2 Likes

:heart: this thread.

R, 19 months:

Into
Reading Chris Haughton books (Don’t worry little Crab and Oh No George!)
Trying to jump into ditches and run down hills when we go for a walk in the forest
Dancing (aka spinning around until she falls over)
Tigers and Lions

Not into
Brushing her teeth
Having a poo

8 Likes

My boy just turned 4 and has been obsessed with Numberblocks for a long time. It’s on BBC iPlayer, five minute episodes, recommended when they need a brief TV hit that you can convince yourself is educational.

My wife made this for his birthday yesterday:

18 Likes

Son (4)
Loves:
Virtually all Tv except ‘grown up TV’
Lots of age inappropriate films that give him nightmares such as Neverending Story
Shouting ‘Alexa [insert indecipherable crap that confuses alexa]’
Dancing including booty shaking and twerking abilities that make his mother jealous
Eating constantly and absolute shite, most of it
Anything ‘charged up’- so the newer episodes of paw patrol, blaze etc
Saying ‘go away mum’ whenever one of his cartoon crushes comes on the telly (current crushes appear to be Skye from paw patrol and zeta/ zeta’s sister gigi from shimmer and shine. Lad has good taste.)
My boobs- we’d pretty much stopped breastfeeding and then lockdown happened and he’s like a newborn again. So my poor tits are once again lactating big style. He’s happy though and it’s obviously a huge source of comfort to him when so much n his little world is baffling to him right now
Saying american words for british word- cotton candy, sidewalk, faucet and diaper. Pretty sure he does it to wind us up.

Dislikes
the hoover (ever since i accidentally hoovered up a small piece of plastic crap, he’s para that the Shark is out to eat all his toys.)
wearing clothes
Listening/ taking instruction.
mealtimes
me being out of his line of sight for more than a minute- the sooner he gets back to nursery the better tbh

5 Likes

Love this one - and has stuck around for ages as he’s now able to read it to us.

“Will he have a little dig?”

3 Likes

Misread this as Chris Hughton books and was thinking his autobiography is probably a bit much for a 19 month year old!

3 Likes

She knows the OH NO bit now :joy:

2 Likes

Son (turned 5 the other week)

• Watching American people on YouTube playing games and shouting at each other - Unspeakable, Jelly, and some guy called Stampy.

• Minecraft (creative mode)

• Hide and seek

• Lego

• Eating meals very slowly (not unusual for a sandwich to take him an hour)

1 Like

Such a nice book. He liked A Bit Lost as well.

1 Like