A weekend in Manchester

On the train!

I didn’t get around to doing the Google map. Hopefully no one was waiting on it.

ffs

1 Like

I was eagerly awaiting it marckee and I demand an apology forthwith

Yeah, sorry, I was ill, then out with work and gigs this week and doing other admin and then I had to set up my new phone last night.

I got about five hours sleep last night and am knackered.

1 Like

Woah

9 Likes

I’m tired and not thinking straight.

6 Likes

@mods

https://community.drownedinsound.com/badges/103/marckee-has-apologised-to-me

8 Likes

Sorry I’ve not sent those guides out to those who requested them. Forgot they’re saved on my mac and the charger has been broken since last year.

2 Likes

No worries - hope the tours go well today!

1 Like

Here’s our plan:

Saturday
11.00 - train arrives. Walk to MoSI.
2.00 Bundobust for lunch
Wander around a bit & go to the Manchester art gallery.
6.00ish Panchos for burrito
7.00 Peer Hat

Sunday:
Whitworth gallery
GRUB for lunch
4.00 train home

If anyone else is around, feel free to shout.

6 Likes

I am potentially going to bundobust before my afternoon tour so maybe see you there (very briefly)

I’m leaving Manchester…for an hour…to go to the Lowry.

Big fan of Adolphe Valette now.

1 Like

Steddy Daz is waiting in Mother Macs for you with half a milk stout and a pocket full of spice. Don’t let him down, mate.

5 Likes

Mistimed my tour…I’m already at bundobust.

Ships in the night.

Okay, so here’s what we did:

Walked from Piccadilly to MoSI. This was okay. It’s a shame that the space and flight hall is closed at the moment, and the rest of wasn’t as structured as it perhaps could have been. I’m not saying that every exhibit should be in chronological order, but some logic to help explain concepts would be helpful.

Then we walked back through town to Bundobust - which was excellent, and deserving of the hype. We were going to pop to the art gallery, but our lack of sleep and colds caught up with us so we went back to the hotel for a couple of hours kip.

The plan for dinner on saturday was to go to Panchos in the Arndale, but despite the websites saying that it was open until 6.30, it turns out that it shuts at 6.00. So we ended up grabbing some quick pizza (at Crazy Pedros - so-so) and a cherry pie at Idle Hands (v tasty), before heading to the gig.

Sunday we walked down to the Whitworth, where the William Kentridge exhibition is the real stand out. I thought this was so good and all the films are well worth seeing right through to the end.

Then we walked up to the art gallery for the Martin Parr exhibition, which was very strong, apart from the 2018 collection, which seemed to be a huge drop in quality.

Then we went to Grub for some vegan korean burritos from Geordie Seoul (recommended), and then across the road to Cloudwater to pick up a few cans.

Thanks for the tips everyone!

8 Likes

I was pretty underwhelmed by the whitworth tbh

nice building / space though

The museums and galleries in Manchester and Salford are notoriously shite.

Yeah, none of the other exhibitions really did anything for me.

Enrique once gave me a free shot of tequila and had a little toast with me because my friend loudly bellowed out it was my birthday while we were buying burritos :heart:

1 Like

I loved the rhythms of the music.