Abducted in Plain Sight

that fed was clearly infuriated by the whole thing. i wonder if he knows more but he’s not allowed to say owt.

for me it’s a combo of the mum and dad being concerned with their own reputations and the mum being obviously infatuated with the paedo.

Watched last night. It seemed like one of those ridiculous shows on sky true crime but with better reconstructions…only…more serious.

1 Like

First and foremost, this was just an appalling piece of documentary-making. I hate it when that no-presenter, no-narrator, talking heads-style allows people to say the most ridiculous things without ever being interrogated or called up on them. (The recreations were also absurd and gratuitous, but that’s more of a stylistic thing.)

There are so many holes in the family’s story and it makes me incredibly uncomfortable that the parents have apparently been profiting off their part in their daughter’s abuse, all in the name of “raising awareness”, for years now. I managed to track down the Kickstarter page that funded the original documentary before Netflix acquired it - look at the “rewards” they offered! https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/612079858/stolen-innocence-the-jan-broberg-documentary

More importantly though, they’re either the stupidest human beings that ever lived or they were entirely complicit in their daughter’s abuse for years. I don’t understand how that horrific abuser got away with his actions with such lenient punishments but imho the parents also deserved jail time. The sheer brazenness of them talking about it all on film with just an occasional “aw, shucks, weren’t we naive” made me want to puke.

Those parents are scumbags and I don’t think the documentary-makers are that much better tbh - appalling the way the director is now touting deleted scenes to the media and an “I think I could make this into a trilogy of docs” line like she’s launched a new superhero franchise. I appreciate there’s always an element of exploitation in these true crime things, but this one didn’t even make any pretence of uncovering the truth or holding those responsible for account. An ugly, unpleasant film. I feel like I need a shower after watching it.

4 Likes

Oh, and the film-makers originally released the film as Forever ‘B’. :face_vomiting:

Started watching this last night. Is daft.