Action Films

think it would be easier for me to meet my new life partner have 5 kids with her, wait for them all to grow up past the age of 30 and then rank them from 1-5 than pick my top 5 action films.

1 Like
  1. Die Hard
  2. Aliens
  3. Face/ Off
  4. Mad Max 2
  5. The Killer

Basically you can’t beat early 80’s John Woo. Hard Boiled could easily be in there too.

5 Likes

realllly tough to call. Love them both but the Raid has a higher proportion of action:non action, so it wins this round.

3 Likes

*mid 80s - early 90s. But yeah, agreed!

That “Contract to Kill” review is one of my favourites of recent times :slight_smile:

This might be the first time that green screen—really awful green screen—has been used to make it look like an actor is just sitting in a parked car.

3 Likes

13 Assassins (2010)
The Killer
Aliens
The Raid
Mad Max: Fury Road

HMs:

Predator, The Bourne Trilogy, Robocop, Dredd, Face/Off, A Better Tomorrow 1 and 2, City On Fire

Haven’t seen either Crank film but been meaning to for ages.

1 Like

13 assassins is fucking excellent

2 Likes

…

3 Likes

Yes. I checked the dates immediately after hitting send rather than before! But that’s the kind of risk taker I am.

Watched any ridiculous premised action films recently? They don’t have to be good.

Watched a JCVD film a few months back called Pound of Flesh, which involves him waking up in a hotel room bath SANS KIDNEY, with no recollection of what’s happened. It transpires, obviously, that said kidney was due to be transplanted to JCVD’s pal’s dying daughter who, obviously, has a such a rare kidney type (?) that only JCVD’s kidney can save her. Anyway, yer man runs around beating up goons but struggling a due to his recent kidney surgery, collapsing mid-fight and that. It adds an exciting new twist. I think the villain was English but I might be remembering that wrong - there’s a definitely a peadophile ring involved somewhere but i’d pretty much lost the plot by then.

1 Like

That film is really really racist. Reckon the only good / memorable bit is the “I have a particular set of skills” phone call, no idea how they managed to get away with making two more by dragging out the same tired formula (I haven’t seen 2 and 3 but assume they’re as bad).

Do people get kidnapped again in 2 & 3? That’s bad luck if so. Also, if you’re going to continually kidnap one of Liam’s Neeson’s fictional children it’s a shame isn’t that smug little prick from Love Actually.

1 Like

In no particular order

Aliens
Road House
Total Recall
Cliffhanger
The Running Man

Yassss.

3 Likes

Cliffhanger is No1 actually.

The Bus That Couldn’t Slow Down
McBain
McGarnigle
Billy & The Cloneasaurus
Radioactive Man: The Movie

Actual answer (in no order):
Aliens
Terminator 2
Predator
First Blood
Die Hard

6 Likes

HIGHLANDER too

5 Likes

YES!!
I’m so glad they never made any sequels! :wink:

3 Likes

Although only one of these made my selection, it’s impossible to argue with this list tbf.

5 Likes

Why is no one shaking my hand for mentioning Road House?

2 Likes

It’s good but I always preferred Steel Dawn myself.