Adam Buxton

Really interesting one with Rose Matafeo. When I read Acaster’s book it felt like he was really really considerate of what he wrote about her but hearing that he didn’t even tell her that he was writing it is disappointing to say the least

4 Likes

Yeah, that was crap to hear. The situation of her finding out from someone on a bus is such a rubbish thing.

Yeah I was surprised that she said no-one had asked her about it in that way - was expecting her to say “no” when he brought it up. Not finished it yet, but am enjoying it and share your view too about checking with her.

1 Like

how tf did I miss the remix competition

1 Like

Be good if someone (not me) did HGATR: The Adam Buxton Podcast.

Often I won’t listen to an episode with someone I don’t know about or, tbh, if it sounds like it’s going to be too upsetting.

The bit where he sings Drivers License is fantastic :smile: That song makes me feel like an Old Man

1 Like

Another thing to make you feel old. My friend had a baby last week so I was thinking it might be cool get them a 7" or CD of the song that was 1 when they were born …as far as I can tell its not yet been realised in any physical format.

1 Like

:smile: get them a non fungible token of Drivers License (or just buy them some delicious unethical bitcoin)

1 Like

After three or four years of it, I think I’m finally over Talking Politics. don’t think its changed at all, think that the enjoyment is just coming at politics from that kind of non-normative perspective, and the rush has worn off.

the New Books Network podcasts are rocking my world, on the other hand

i love ACFM on Novara as well

Actually enjoyed the Torvill and Dean episode not very exciting but nice to hear about 2 working class people doing something they enjoyed for work and getting good enough to earn a decent living from it and seemed like nice people but could be wrong.

4 Likes

I quite enjoyed it for those reasons as well. It feels like a weird anomaly these days - a refreshingly boring story. No dramatic ‘overcoming adversity’ arc or, at the other end of the scale, moneyed trust fund wankers born with a silver spoon in their mouths… Just two folk ploughing ahead with something they enjoyed and - through a mixture of talent and some luck - doing well out of it.

1 Like

Was a bit shocking for Mr. Dean to be a police man during the miners strike and that, not gonna lie but it was pretty chilled

I have only learned who Rose Matafeo is from this thread (and will be listening to that episode) but in the course of Googling I enjoyed how this NZ-based news article frames Acaster as her ex-boyfriend.

1 Like

Listened to Roisin Murphy episode this week and it was excellent.

Now on the Rose Matafeo one and she so seems like someone I would desperately love to go out for a night with.

3 Likes

her stand up show is on iPlayer at the minute, just watched it tonight

2 Likes

The new one with Kazuo Ishiguro is well worth a listen. There’s a little bit of Buxton veering into his cancel stuff but not too much, and the stuff on consciousness and emotion is really good.

1 Like

Nice to hear the Dublin Wax Museum get a shout out. Went there as a kid and remember it being enjoyably terrible, good to hear it hasn’t improved.

I still get teased by my family because of how terrified I was in that place. My mum said it took me hours to calm down :joy:

1 Like

For those that don’t already know it, Rose Matafeo’s podcast Boners of The Heart is amazing, really one of my very favourite pods:

3 Likes

didn’t know she had one! will check it

1 Like

I’d recommend starting with some of the earlier ones, when they still had some sort of structure and stuck to the original concept. They (Rose and fellow NZ comedian Alice Snedden) now just release them very sporadically when they happen to be together or have something relevant they want to pod about, so might be a little baffling or a trickier way in.

1 Like