Adam Curtis

the process church one, absolute GOAT podcast episode

1 Like

I think Iā€™ve already done this!

4 Likes

ā€œIt just seemed like a lot of plasticine and stop motion to the casual viewer, but in reality it was a test bed for something far biggerā€¦ā€

10 Likes
4 Likes

ā€œThough Iā€™m noticing echoes of other societiesā€

No shit Jon. Are you saying heā€™s holding a mirror up to the UK? No way man, no way, not his style.

15 Likes

7 hour-long episodes? Sounds incredibly normal? And accessible? :thinking:

Might finally have to watch an Adam Curtis thing

1 Like

I do love me some classic Curtis but

PEOPLE IMAGINED ALTERNATIVE FUTURES

AND TURNED TO DARK CONSPIRACIES

ā€¦is a bit, like, do yā€™know what I mean?

1 Like

But that was just a fantasy

3 Likes

For a moment I thought you were saying that each episode was 7 hours long.

Wouldnā€™t put it past him.

6 Likes

Actually seems weird to start with one so atypical for him

Is Century of the Self a good intro?

Really misread that at first, and could absolutely have believed it.

6 Likes

Might give this one a pass and just continue to rewatch sopranos as society collapses

He should stream JRPGs on Twitch and call it That Was Just A Final Fantasy

7 Likes

If Iā€™m interpreting this correctly, this new doc might be a big departure in style from his previous ones.

As I watched the footage I decided that I shouldnā€™t use my voice or paste music over it. The material was so strong that I didnā€™t want to intrude pointlessly, but rather let viewers simply experience what was happening

1 Like

The It Felt Like A Kiss film (originally part of the Manchester live event but later shown on the BBC as a stand-alone) also had no voiceover.

oh i might enjoy this one then. really find his style quite infuriating

I suspect heā€™ll replace the voiceover with large splash Helvetica text captions

2 Likes

Hmm I quite like when he goes heavy on the voiceover. I recall Bitter Lake having lots of long uninterrupted archive footage clips and being a bit dull

4 Likes

I like the voiceover because I sometimes pretend itā€™s Sir Keith and find it funny

2 Likes

Yeah was doing funny Adam Curtis voices with my flatmate yesterday and started sounding very Starmer-y

1 Like