Advance Base (ex Casiotone for the Painfully Alone)

Couldn’t see a thread or any real chat about his new record “Animal Companionship” (which came out in October)

Think it’s probably his best since he jacked in the Casiotone name. Pretty much the closest he’s done to that work as well
Most of the songs are about pets. Here’s a video with lots of pictures of dogs

Also one of those good short songs he does

Nice Magnetic Fields cover as well

When was the last time he played here, seems like forever

I haven’t really kept up with him, seems to me if he has outgrown the casiotone for the painfully alone moniker then he has outgrown me as a casiotone for the painfully alone fan

He toured the last album in like 2015 or maybe early 16? He played Edinburgh and I didn’t go because I’m useless.

Tbh I wasn’t super fussed by the first two AB records (which I though was weird cos I loved the end period cftpa more than the early stuff) but this has really grabbed me.

Yeah absolutely loving this record, been on haevy rotation for me since it came out. Strong eels/kozelek vibe for me, juat love his stroytelling over the basic keys

Yeah really really good record. A more “produced” sound if you know what i mean? ‘Care’ is wonderful!

He keeps on saying on Twitter he wants to play over here again, but nothing’s materialised. His last London show (in 2013!) clashed with that free Ray Davies/Elvis Costello gig at Hyde Park so I didn’t go :frowning:

Oh wow! I thought he’d toured the second album over here. Must’ve been the first. That’s a real shame.

looks like he might be coming back soonish!

UK and Euro dates here:

Oooh, up for that London date. Not sure I’ve ever been to The Islington before.

Tickets on sale Wednesday, link here: https://www.wegottickets.com/event/455148

I think I saw Jeffrey Lewis there, really liked it, very small though, smaller than the Lexington or shackwell I reckon

Got myself a ticket for that Islington show in the end.

I won’t be in London then but I’ve a conceivable work season to be in our London office that day…