AfCoN '17 (rolling)

Good Mascot. Fierce, with provocative short shorts.

6 Likes

Bored of this already

1 Like

What was the first game like, fellow fans of African football?

Also, does anyone know what our options are in terms of nightly highlights?

First half was bloody dreadful. Late equaliser as well.

Think it’s worth remembering how awful most of the Euros was.

A goal for all of Guinea-Bissau?

Will be watching Burkina Faso vs. Cameroon later.

#Allez les Les Lions Indomptables!

1 Like

Ten minutes left! C’mon!

Preview: the current holders

Coach Dussuyer has reached the quarter finals with Guinea so will hope to do significantly better given that Les Éléphants have done that or better for the last 6 tournaments, including winning the whole thing on penalties last time. If it does go to penalties at any point, expect LOTS of them - Les Éléphants have been involved in 24, 24 and 22 shot shootouts over the last three decades, two in the final of an AFCON tournament and one in a quarter final. Winning all three of them puts them in a good place shoudl the same situation reoccur. They managed to draw all but one of them qualification games too so it’s hardly a situation they’re unlikely to encounter

Zaha decides to spend some time in warm rainy Gabon instead of cold rainy zone 3/4

The squad will be keen to impress, given that it’s only 4 years untill the country hosts AFCON 2021

Les Éléphants are unbeaten in a year and unbeaten in competitive games for 2 1/4 years so the smart £££ is on them for those who fancy some #beertokens

Salomon Kalou is scared of Ghana, but really he should be scared of Morocco given that they’re managed by Hervé Renard, who won AFCON with Zambia in 2012 and then Les Éléphants in 2015

Preview over

I remember there being a lot of draws last time round. I back both of those games to draw yesterday.

oh ffs, come on lads.

@bugduv are there any other teams available?

Can somebody who understands these things explain why it always seems to be African teams that have disputes over money? Ghana at the last WC and (I think) Nigeria a few years before that. Is it down to the infrastructure and organisation of the respective football associations?

the massive, massive corruption in football, probably.

1 Like

Ah, I’d forgotten about that…

Bit late on this…

#GO, LIONS OF TERANGA!

Show those Carthaginian Eagles who’s boss!

A spirited performance by Zimbabwe leads to a 2-2 draw against a Mahrez-inspired Algeria, which I didn’t watch because it clashed with the United game. Onwards and upwards!

1 Like

Enormous corruption from the governing bodies. The Uganda manager has already said he’s going after the tournament as he went unpaid for months and hasn’t been given the bonuses promised for qualifying.

Players are more reliant on being paid as most of them can’t rely on hefty club salaries. More corruption, inevitably, being third world countries. At the same time, it gets swept under the carpet when it happens in Europe. It used to be par for the course with the German squads, Cruyff did it i think, France…might have.

I’d never thought about it in terms of needing the money - Premier League Problems I suppose.

I’ve backed two doubles with the correct results for Saturday and Sunday.

Do you think I could hand my notice in tomorrow and just bet on African football full time?

1 Like