African Cup Of Nations 🇨🇲⚽

Technically it’s AFCON 2021 because it was shifted from last summer but it didn’t feel right to put that in the title.

The group stages start on Sunday. All games are on Sky Sports in the UK and the quarter finals onwards are on BBC.

Debutants: Comoros and Gambia

Favourites: Algeria (defending champions), Senegal (strongest overall squad), Egypt (most successful team, Salah leading the side but he’s never won it), Cameroon (hosts), Cote d’Ivoire, Morocco and Nigeria.

Notable absentees: Osimhen, Dennis, Ighalo (Nigeria, mixture of COVID and club disputes). Ziyech, Mazraoui, Harit (Morocco, all excluded by the coach for disciplinary reasons). Aubameyang (Gabon, until he recovers from COVID).

There are good previews on the Athletic and there’s also this as a quick overview of each team

If you want to pick a team to follow but aren’t sure who, here’s a list of the nicknames:

The Stallions Burkina Faso
Black Stars Ghana
National Elephants Guinea
National Thunder Equatorial Guinea
The Atlas Lions Morocco
The Blue Sharks Cape Verde
The Coelacanths Comoros
The Eagles Mali
The Eagles of Carthage Tunisia
The Elephants Ivory Coast
The Falcons of Jediane Sudan
The Fennec Foxes Algeria
The Flames Malawi
The Indomitable Lions Cameroon
The Leone Stars Sierra Leone
The Lions of Chinguetti Mauritania
The Lions of Teranga Senegal
The Panthers Gabon
The Pharaohs Egypt
The Scorpions Gambia
The Super Eagles Nigeria
The Warriors Zimbabwe
The Wild Dogs Guinea-Bissau
Walia Ibex Ethiopia

10 Likes

I’ll be supporting Zimbabwe (at least for the group stage)

Had no idea The Gambia had qualified, my ex was from there so I’ll be supporting them. Feel like they’ve got an outside chance of getting through their group too!

Hoping Shamrock Rovers’ Roberto Lopes gets action for Cabo Verde :cape_verde:

2 Likes

Updadoedadands

go wild dogs

I was born a NATIONAL THUNDER fan, and by lord I’ll die a NATIONAL THUNDER fan

Let’s go the only African country to have Spanish as it’s official language! (No, I did not just Google this, you cynics)

1 Like

Time to break out the ol’ Ghana shirt lads

My fave nickname turns out to be where my atatd’s parents are from, so 'mon the falcons of jediane!!!

Fennec Foxes never quit!

3 Likes

Shall we do a sweepstake? (just for a team to follow, not money)

• In
  • Out

0 voters

Up the Algiers Crisps!

1 Like

featuring Leicester City hero Islam Slimani no less!

1 Like

Yep, the only former Leicester City hero in the squad

I’ll support Nigeria really, Ndidi and Nacho are my boys :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

I had only realised Zimbabwe qualified when I saw they play Senegal on Monday afternoon.

I might even crack out my Zim shirt+ while I force Wor Lass to watch.

They don’t score many goals so I’m not sure how thrilling their ACON stay will be.

+It’s too big for The Child but it was pretty snug on pre-pandemic Keith and Godknows** what it’ll be like now.

** Godknows Murwira - midfielder

My second team are Senegal because of their rich history of providing Newcastle with players who score goals.

(and @keith )

There’s some talk about Zimbabwe being excluded last minute. Zambia say they’re on backup but probably without loads of players. It’s hopefully too late to change things now but it’s FIFA…

Nothing has been decided, and the Zimbabwe team are continuing their preparations as normal

https://www.herald.co.zw/afcon-warriors-intensify-preparations/

Given that their first game is on Monday, it wouldn’t be feasible for another team to be called up at this late stage.

2 Likes

one of my best mates is Nigerian

as such I’m deeply annoyed that Nigeria vs Egypt is 4pm on a Tuesday

More preview content ahead of the first games tomorrow, featuring Prince Dube.

3 Likes