African music

I don’t know know a whole lot about African music outside of Afrobeat. There are so many different styles that it’s kind of intimidating trying to find a way in. Post some good tracks in here so I can educate myself!

From my limited knowledge I’ll start off with these

There’s a good documentary about these guys. Love that screaming coffee tin instrument
4 Likes

All the 60s influenced Zambian rock fucking slaps

7 Likes

Oumou Sangare:

Tinariwen:

(Mali alone has more good music than you could possibly explore in a lifetime, and is possibly/arguably the root of western pop music as we know it, via the blues)

6 Likes

Discovered this the other year. Seems in Botswana they play guitar a bit differently…

8 Likes
3 Likes

This is one of my albums of the year. Upbeat psych;

1 Like

This is absolutely incredible.

Holy crap! Loving this!

1 Like

This might be of interest:

I don’t know too much of their catalogue but this album is great:

Largely instrumental kora playing from Senegal recorded in the 80s (there’s vocals on some tracks though)

2 Likes

There’s an album up on Spotify

2 Likes

Also made this playlist with a load of African artists (though not by design)

2 Likes

This is superb. The whole collection is great (African Scream Contest Pts 1 and 2 from Analog Africa label).

4 Likes

I love soukous, just so joyous and danceable. Diblo Dibala is one of the greatest guitar players who ever lived

2 Likes

Good thread.

The Honest Jon’s compilation series ‘London is the Place For Me’ contains some absolute gold. The first couple of volumes are largely Caribbean calypso music but the later volumes introduce more African artists, highlife and kwela music (from artists presumably with connections to London?).

https://honestjons.com/shop/artist/London_Is_The_Place_For_Me/release/4_African_Dreams_And_The_Piccadilly_High_Life

Love this one:

3 Likes

Analog Africa have released/reissued some excellent stuff!

1 Like

Big fan of Ethiopian ‘Golden Age’ stuff –

Mahmoud Ahmed

Mulatu Astatke

Hailu Mergia / Walias

The Ethiopiques series is amazing, just pick one and dive in.

4 Likes

Ghanaian jazz prog anyone?

2 Likes

This compilation of Madagascan music has some gold on it if memory serves

3 Likes