AIBU: browsing a record shop

I don’t think I’ve ever done this in my life because I find it really embarrassing admitting in public that I do indulgent pleasant things like listen to music. Could never buy anything in one either because I don’t want the staff knowing what music I like, it’s too personal.

3 Likes

Used to spend hours in them as a kid. Wouldn’t even bother now.

2 Likes

One of my favourite things in the world is finding a good indie record or game shop

5 Likes

it’s upsetting because I used to love it but now my main emotion is outrage at the prices. Only really enjoy a sale section or charity shop rummage

4 Likes

but yeah I don’t really like the going to the till bit, it feels either too judgy or not judgy enough

Every time I’ve walked into a record shop in the last, idk, decade? I’ve felt more lost than at any other point in life. Like, where bounce your new releases? I just want to see if you’ve got something new and interesting to brighten up my day, I don’t want to need a microniches of archaic genres. That shit’s been played to death, contemporise, little record store busters.

2 Likes

Imagine being like this and then forcing the person on the till to listen to the record you’re buying

5 Likes

Listening to music is hardly indulgent, is it?

You’re allowed to have nice things.

19 Likes

Loved it when I was first discovering music but haven’t lived anywhere with a decent second hand record shop for years.

love flicking through masses of shelves and inevitably buying nothing

9 Likes

A good record shop is a beautiful thing. Fortunately we have three in Cork where the staff are sound and the selections are varied and plentiful. 1-0 kallgeese.

This Post Paid For By PROF$.

3 Likes

These days just do it to marvel at the insane prices.

Sometimes makes me forget what music I like though, flicking through endless shit.

I like em

That’s it, that’s the tweet

1 Like

Fondly remember doing this at uni with the second hand record shop in Falmouth and the market pop up in Truro which always had cool Blur rarities but what would be the point now? I own almost every album i want to own

Actually I would like a cassette of Dog Man Star.

1 Like

Might go to Drift on Monday now actually

5 Likes

I really hate it when some random stranger asks me what music I like. That feels really personal. Don’t mind staff in a record shop knowing though because they are professionals. It’s like the difference between talking about your health in the street and in the doctor’s.

4 Likes

There’s too much choice for me. Find it really stressful. Just want a record shop where they have, like, six albums every week and some listening stations with tablets and a playlist of the best three or four songs from each and I can just spend a few minutes going “Nope…too poppy. Nope…Animal Collective. Ooh, that’s nice”.

And also every album is a max of £15 on vinyl, £10 on CD. And none of the staff like music, and they can’t wear daft hats or play any records. In fact, they’re not needed at all, we can automate it all.

5 Likes

Feel like you and Bam could link up to revolutionise the way the world works someday

2 Likes

I was buying the first clap your hands say yeah album in fopp (i think) once and the lassie behind the counter told me it was her favourite album ever. I was unsure how to respond especially as I’d been rinsing it from a dodgy download and already knew it was 8/10 but hardly life altering.

3 Likes