AIBU: browsing a record shop

CDs from charity shops and car boots is probably better pickings than record stores ever were tbf.

1 Like

Some of my fav things ever are 8/10s tbf

2 Likes

The last record shop I went to was Third Man.

I don’t know what I was expecting any more than Jack White: The Shop.

I’m looking forward to living somewhere I can bring records to again

Went into The Sound Machine today and bought this for 99p:

Fucking love a great record shop, me.

4 Likes
2 Likes

Love Vinyl Exchange in Manc for flicking through cds. Saw a Blood Brothers one last time and told my gf to buy it. She said no

1 Like

Some wild takes in this thread. Worried about a lot of u

2 Likes

Did it today. Probably my favourite thing to do.

5 Likes

Didn’t even buy anything. They let me in with the dog though :dog:

You probably bought Who Let The Dogs Out

2 Likes

Can’t be bothered with ones that sell new records, and to be fair second hand ones have lost a lot of the appeal as everything is online now. Meaning the ability to buy them so you don’t have to trawl, and for shops to look up values so they try and sell for as much as possible.

In the mid to late 90s, at least once a month I would head up to London with 20 Marlborough Light, some flapjack and a record bag, and spend the entire day scouring about 20 shops. Soho–>Camden–>Notting Hill. Primarily MVE shops, but there were always second hand sections in others. And you could find some real bargains doing this. I would come home with about 10-20 records, and spin them whilst my other half watched X-Factor or whatever downstairs.

There was always the chance you come across some hard to find records at really good prices. I think the online aspect has torpedoed this. It’s more convenient, but take the fun out of proper ‘crate digging’ (wanky phrase).

People have spoken about Selecta-Disc in Nottingham on here, and that had a great second hand section too. Recently came across a Spanish edition of Help (Socorro!) by the Beatles I got for 2.70 in there (it still had the price tag on it). Even with inflation from the mid 90s that’s a bargain.

3 Likes

Still can’t resist one, but I sold all my records six months ago and not planning to buy any more so it’s a pretty pointless venture these days.

My favourite growing up was One Up in Aberdeen. The staff were never snotty - even when I was buying awful toytown rave 12 inches - and I used to save up for weeks if I knew we were going through to the “big city”.

1 Like

Used to feel really self-concious about going into record shops back when I was a dweeby teenager. Seemed to think that they were full of super-cool hipster types who would laugh at me.

Always get a lot of milege out of places with a good compilation CDs section. I like it when you can get a coffee or something too like in Truck in Oxford.

God I love Truck Store. Great coffee, a not completely overwhelming selection of music, secret pull-out 2nd hand CD drawers, consistently lovely staff.

2 Likes

There’s a place up here called 586 that is basically crate digging central. Don’t think it would particularly serve my tastes but I’m still fascinated by it.

Insta previews don’t work here anymore but this is it:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CkSoMWdo6XT/

15k records in stock!

2 Likes

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck how did I not know about that place when I was in Newcastle last.

This post paid for by PROF$.

1 Like

Oh baby! Time to start smoking again and book a train to Newcastle.

3 Likes

Tbh I lived here like a year before I heard about them - the guy tends to choose pretty anonymous places that I assume are cheap and offer loads of space. Was previously on the 1st floor of a (now demolished) 60s office block, currently located in an old industrial building next to the motorway coming off the Tyne Bridge.

What’s the best record shop you’ve ever been to? Probably Space Hall in Berlin for me