Alan Partridge Ambiguity

In the series one finale, Alan proves himself to be quite the raconteur when recalling a tale of beating Blue Peter presenter Peter Purves to the last seat on a crowded train.

Here is the classic scene:

Now, the witty punchline, as we all know, is “don’t be blue, Peter!” BUT, “blue” as in what sense?

• Blue as in “using course language”. Peter uttered “you jammy bastard!”
  • Blue as in “sad, in a melancholy state”. Alan had beaten him to the last seat

0 voters

Hang on, is that Rob Brydon? Where’s the things you have been slow to realise thread

3 Likes

Accidentally voted sad when I meant coarse language. Sorry.

you can change your vote - hit “hide results” and reselect

1 Like

Always thought it was for swearing but how I’m questioning everything I thought I knew about everything.

4 Likes

I’m the complete opposite on this, hadn’t considered the ‘blue language’ before now…

18 Likes

Crazy how your world can be turned completely upside down.

2 Likes

thanks for bringing this to my attention tastee. a lot to think about.

3 Likes

Had never thought about it as a double entendre as well as a pun, but I guess it is! Not an ambiguity, but I’ll allow it.

This is more food for though than I was ready for.

1 Like

I might have said blue as in blue language if he hadn’t have said “now fuck off” after it. Clearly Alan isn’t adverse to bad language and it’s unlikely he’d find the word “bastard” blue.

Great thread though.

1 Like

Both readings are legitimate and therefore this is a good poll and thread.

But its reminded me of the simpsons shoe one ffs

4 Likes

I don’t want to vote, since I think it’s both

Yeah I think there’s a fair chance its been written with both in mind

It’s blue as in sad and there’s no ambiguity. Goodbye (shoe).

11 Likes

legitimate ambiguity

2 Likes

alan is telling rob brydon to fuck off, it is NOT repeat NOT part of the anecdote.

13 Likes

It is the I’m Alan Partridge series two finale, not series one.

It’s not ambiguous - it’s the swearing he’s referring to.

4 Likes

Ah, you’re right - it’s series two.

It’s ambiguous from the viewer’s perspective, I have no doubt that Steve Coogan knows the one true answer.

I know that