Album of the year 2017 [so far]

How do you do that picture thing?

Iā€™m using desktop, the link wouldnā€™t work, so I saved it to my pc and uploaded it to the boards.

(I wrote the Lift piece)

1 Like

Ahh nice. I remember seeing the artwork on the main site and was really drawn in with how weird it was, so I went over to the article, read it, enjoyed it, immediately felt like ā€œok I have to hear thisā€.

1 Like

Iā€™m glad! It had been a few years since I heard it so it was cool it stood up and to then expose it to a wider audience

Protomartyr is creeping up on my Big Thief love in and I havenā€™t even got the vinyl yet!

Another reissue belter from me is Bolt Thrower - Warmaster as part of the Earache FDR range. Wow this is heavy and the sound is amazing. Great job by Earache. Obviously not to everyoneā€™s taste!

Funny you should mention Earache, I was just thinking of this compilation yesterday. Should probably check that reissue out.

2 Likes

their new album is p good

1 Like

This is currently my top ten [keeping a list on rateyourmusic]

1. Iglooghost - Neo Wax Bloom
  2. Japanese Breakfast - Soft Sounds From Another Planet
  3. Arca - S/T
  4. Jesca Hoop - Memories Are Now
  5. The National - Sleep Well Beast
  6. Ariel Pink - Dedicated to Bobby Jameson
  7. Paramore - After Laughter
  8. Sparks - Hippopotamus
  9. Brand New - Science Fiction
    10 - Blaenavon - Thatā€™s Your Lot

This is said list for those interested in the full thing.

1 Like

At halfway point it was:

1. Thundercat - Drunk
  2. Fleet Foxes - Crack-Up
  3. Timber Timbre - Sincerely, Future Pollution
  4. Hey Colossus - The Guillotine
  5. Part Chimp - IV

but the second half has been way stronger, think now it would look like:

1. Protomartyr - Relatives in Descent
  2. Thundercat - Drunk
  3. Brand New - Science Fiction
  4. Fleet Foxes - Crack-Up
  5. Grizzly Bear - Painted Ruins
  6. Wolf Parade - Cry, Cry, Cry
  7. Wolves in the Throne Room - Thrice Woven
  8. Waxahatchee - Out in the Storm
  9. The National - Sleep Well Beast
  10. Timber Timbre - Sincere, Future Pollution

Converge is almost certainly gonna get in there thoughā€¦

The past couple months have been insanely good, might be one of the best years for music (IN MY OPINION ANYWAYS)

2 Likes

Yeah Iā€™d maybe agree. Itā€™s also possible Iā€™m much more engaged this year but I do genuinely think itā€™s been a great year so far

1 Like

By the way Iā€™m currently listening to the Alex Lahey album, if you like Waxahatchee you should really check it outā€¦ itā€™s great.

1 Like

Canā€™t decide if this is same for me. Seem to be hearing new great stuff way more often, but is that just fully integrating into the new way of doing things (Spotify mainly)? People here have been better at flagging exciting stuff too it seems - the new release threadā€™s always worth a look. But you could argue thatā€™s because itā€™s an uncommonly strong year.

Either way, great stuff.

2 Likes

cheers for the tip!

What a difference a couple months make. The past six weeks alone have been better than the entirety of certain years. Hereā€™s my rolling top 10 full lengths, not counting yesterdayā€™s releases:

1. Protomartyr
  2. Brand New
  3. The National
  4. Mogwai
  5. Strange Ranger**
  6. Meat Wave**
  7. Priests
  8. Afghan Whigs
  9. METZ
  10. Cloud Nothings

** These two havenā€™t gotten much attention on the forums. Highly recommended.
6, 7, 8 are basically interchangeable

The Billy Corgan album is going to quickly jump into there somewhere.

Also, this short 4 song EP by The Hand (Zak Sally, formerly in Low) might be second-for-second the best thing released this year. It was inspired by the horror of Trump winning. This is a must if you like METZ or moments when singers like Greg Dulli or Isaac Brock or Patrick Stickles go into screaming mode and it sounds like their heads are going to explode. Itā€™s still getting better with each listen.

protomartyr

ā€¦

the national, grizzly bear, & early days but sounds like the new st vincent will be up there too

Phoebe Bridgers for me at the moment but still ALL TO PLAY FOR

1 Like

I like. It is both weird and beautiful.

1 Like

Not mentioned much on here but a band (badly) named Hurray For The Riff Raff have a brilliant album called The Navigator. Easily one of my top 5 albums of the year at the end of year lists.

3 Likes