Album of the year 2017 [so far]

Including one of the best songs I have ever heard about gentrification, so if gentrification is your thing I would strongly recommend this album.

1 Like

Looking forward to their gig on Tuesday hugely, despite it being at Koko.

I have heard from friends they are very good live, but last time they were over here was three years ago and they didnā€™t play Brisbane so unfortunately I cannot comment from personal experience.

yeah this is ace

1 Like

Perfume Genius I reckon :heart::heart::heart::heart:

Edit: why does it only let you do one heart??

1 Like

spaces, my friend!

So my current top 10 is looking like this. Past couple of months have been excellent.

Still pretty buzzed about new Converge and Iā€™m rinsing Cloud Nothings at the moment so it may make its way back in there.

1. Brand New - Science Fiction
  2. LCD Soundsystem - American Dream
  3. Jonwayne - Rap Album Two
  4. Four Tet - New Energy
  5. Phoebe Bridges - Stranger in the Alps
  6. Manchester Orchestra - A Black Mile To The Surface
  7. Japanese Breakfast - Soft Sounds from Another Planet
  8. Japandroids - Near To The Wild Heart Of Life
  9. Paramore - After Laughter
  10. Ryan Adams - Prisoner

Nick Hakim or Lorde or Fleet Foxes

Iā€™m going to wait until November and do what I did last year: randomly pair up all of my fave releases: listen to each pair back to back and elect a winner who goes through to the next roundā€¦ All the fun of a major sports tournament. Might even make a spreadsheet.

8 Likes

Whilst Iā€™m glad that a lot of people have found enough to love to claim this is a great year for music, Iā€™m not there yet.

On the plus side, there have been a lot of good or very good releases. However, Iā€™m yet to hear a release from this year that I deem truly great, and thatā€™s usually what I would need to say that a certain year stands out. Lots of 7s and 8s but honestly so far thereā€™s only been one album Iā€™d consider a 9 (which is Priestsā€™ Nothing Feels Natural) and nothing that I could seriously give a 10

I am trying my best to go through everyoneā€™s suggestions here and I sincerely hope that this post will be proven wrong in the next 3 months/the coming years

In the unlikely event that anyoneā€™s interested this is what Iā€™ve listened to and how Iā€™d rate them (in alphabetical order)

Action Bronson (8/10)
Alvvays (6.5/10)
Austra (8/10)
Brockhampton 1 & 2 (7.5/10)
Broken Social Scene (7/10)
Cloud Nothings (8/10)
Daughter (7.5/10)
Dirty Projectors (8/10)
Everything Everything (8.5/10)
Fleet Foxes (8/10)
Grandaddy (7.5/10)
Grizzly Bear (8/10)
The Horrors (7/10)
Ibeyi (7/10)
Japandroids (7/10)
Jesca Hoop (7/10)
Kelly Lee Owen (7.5/10)
Kendrick Lamar (8/10)
LCD Soundsystem (6.5/10)
Liars (7.5/10)
Lorde (8/10)
Mac DeMarco (6.5/10)
The National (7/10)
Perfume Genius (7/10)
Priests (9/10)
Protomartyr (8/10)
Punarosa (6.5/10)
Rapsody (8.5/10)
Sampha (7/10)
Spoon (7/10)
St. Vincent (8/10)
Susanne SundfĆør (8/10)
The War on Drugs (8/10)
The XX (7/10)

Hmmm, looking at my list it seems like the source of my problem is too much attention to indie releases and not enough on rap, rnb or pop. Still deciding on Stormzy, J Hus, Kelela and Kehlani

I rate brockhampton (especially the singles from 1) and jesca hoop much higher than that, they are both cracking imho

thatā€™s roughly my standings so far I think. quite a few prominent releases Iā€™m still undecided on though, and several more Iā€™ve not got round to listening to at all yet

3 Likes

Only got turned onto the Brockhampton albums about a month ago so they could definitely grow into an 8 or higher with repeated listens.

Havenā€™t listened to the Jesca Hoop for a few months. Will try and rectify that tomorrow

Enjoy! Think she definitely rewards repeat listens!

1 Like

If youā€™re looking for a bit more hip-hop and liked the Action album I would highly recommend Wiki ā€œNo Mountains In Manhattanā€. My favourite NY release this year I think. Not NY but have also been really enjoying Jonwayne ā€œRap Album Twoā€ and Open Mike Eagleā€™s new one.

I love both Future albums, but obviously heā€™s not to everyoneā€™s taste.

R&B I would definitely check out SZA, and I absolutely love Moses Sumney (though he isnā€™t really r&b or soul - really hard to classify)

1 Like

Thanks for the recommendations! Not been too enamoured with Future so far but need to give the new ones a listen.

Tried SZA earlier in the year when it came out and it didnā€™t gel but, again, now itā€™s been a few months itā€™s probably time to give it another try.

Have heard good things about Moses Sumney, will check it out!

should give the new mozzy album a go as well. best rap album of the year (non kendrick division)

1 Like

Np. Iā€™m still digging through a lot of rap LPs as have been on an electronic tip this year or just listening to standalone rap tracks. Need to dive back into the hip-hop threads soon.

SZA wasnā€™t immediate for me but I love it now. I think TDE nail it with their production and create a great mood on all their albums. Kendrick is obviously a genius but putting him aside I really loved Blank Face LP and The Sunā€™s Tirade last year

Try EMA ā€“ Exile on the outer ring

?