Album reviews that haven't aged well

literally two of my favourite foodstuffs. [culinary ed]

13 Likes

Took me a while to get my head around olives. Could eat a bucket of them now.

1 Like

Oh look at all the aubergine truthers liking this post [passive aggressive ed]

1 Like

You have to remember I grew up in Islington :grinning:

Mum was always buying stuff from the “world foods” bit of Safeway to see what it was like, possibly partly because we were a veggie household so she was looking out for veggie recipes and the like?

1 Like

I like them now and it’s not that I hated them when I first tried them, it was the difference between how they looked and how they tasted

In fairness, it’s a crap title, may as well called it kebab.

4 Likes

I think that one’s not so much aged as always been complete nonsense.

This NME one with its weird anti-German slant only reads worse with time.

Wow.
Edgy.

1 Like

Don’t know if there’s any evidence of it online but the NME gave Pram’s Sargasso Sea 0/10 back in the day which was abject nonsense but did inspire me to buy it.
It is, of course, a very lovely album if you like that Pram/Broadcast Birmingham psykrautdelic jazz sound.

Most P4K reviews prior to 2010 surely? Even ones with a decent score tend to be a load of old shit.

Exactly. I was buying this stuff then too. And whilst MBV Loveless made a big splash, the other stuff like Slowdive and Chapterhouse were generally well received (not by MM lol) but not massively acclaimed. They, and others have become more and more revered as time has gone by. Especially in the US.

The idea that melody and “tunes” are the only metric worth measuring in music can fuck off and seriously die. NME were properly into the embarrassing uncle stage by that point weren’t they - the world was moving on but the clung to COOLNESS and RAWK until their dying breath.

It’s nice to kick that corpse once in a while, just to check if it’s still dead.

1 Like

aw

this is sort of wholesome

1 Like

this is funny up to a point if you read it as an unreliable narrator who has a delusional sense of grandeur

1 Like

sit back and watch 'em go!

1 Like

don’t mind this. mostly right about the album being bloated with dull anthems and ‘expansive’ emptiness

ah I think this is okay too. seems to give equal credence to both sides

also Dominic Leone always seemed to review very interesting music, and his posts on ilxor.com have opened me to lots and all

1 Like

Someone must have the text of the original DiS Kid A review somewhere.

https://web.archive.org/web/20081208040539/https://drownedinsound.com/releases/2419/reviews/83

1 Like

they were best in the mid/late-noughties

started off as horrible + often bigoted juvenalia, ultimately lost all personality in trying to be marketable/profitable

like @BigAl, I think they were much better when they weren’t just windsocks

I felt bad for this band after this. Pitchfork was one of the sites that hyped this band so hard off that EP and then gave them this review. Not saying the album is actually great, but damn.

1 Like