Albums of the Year Lists: 2017 Edition

Aldous Harding and Big Thief in the top ten though, that’s nice.

Goldflakepaint’s ‘Maybe you missed…’ list is out:

Their proper AOTY list out later today, I think.

2 Likes

I think that’s a really interesting list - nice mix that reflects the different shows and audiences of NPR. Going to check out some of the classical, jazz & roots stuff for sure. Might not all be my thing but lists like this work as you feel every choice is genuine rather than bandwagon jumping or desperately listing every record that they’ve half listened to to fill out a top 100.

Love Priests btw - my best ‘lists’ discovery so far.

1 Like

that big thief record man :heart_eyes:

6 Likes

Now that I like. Thanks @AtTheBorderGuy A few of my favourites from this year, but lots more to give a try to. Happy days in an otherwise pretty barren month.

Gold Flake Paint:

3 Likes

God is in the TV:

Yup. Found some brilliant stuff via GFP over the last few years that I’ve never seen mentioned elsewhere. Going to sit down with a beer and work through these lists tonight.

1 Like

“Hey guys, what about if we make one rock list where we can add several other non-rock stuff and… still not making any reference to Protomartyr new album?”

That’s a list that renders the word ‘rock’ completely meaningless. So far as Pitchfork is concerned it just seems to mean ‘any music made by white people’.

1 Like

Dunno. Sounds like a realistic appraisal of the year to me. Ish.

The 405

https://www.thefourohfive.com/music/article/the-405-s-top-20-albums-of-2017-151

Best list :heart_eyes:

Oh yes they are very consistent (maybe too much I would say). I prefer the ability to admit mistakes and those who understand that this subject of appreciate and review music should not be restricted to the staticity of one score, but rather to the innumerable possibilities of it being able to development over time.

Oh yeah, it’s definitely a fair list and well thought out. I’m just surprised at the lack of Protomartyr since it seems like it would be something they’d recognize. And while it’s certainly getting attention and showing up in lists, I think a lot of critics are sleeping on just how great the Priests album is.

2 Likes

Priests came out in January, which is probably counting against it.

I’m sensing a disconnect between critical acclaim for Peasant and actual numbers of people who like it. It’s received scant mention in the DiS vote thread for example.

Nah critics are just allergic to punk

Both Protomartyr and Priests are in the top 50 overall which is pretty good for bands their size:

1 Like

Peasant is SUCH a good record.

1 Like