Albums released on the same day

Space - Spiders
Kula Shaker - K.

Both late-entry Britpop players released in Autumn 1996. I bought K on cassette and taped Spiders off my friend who bought it on the same day. He copied ‘K’ off me.

Alkaline Trio - Good Mourning
Maximilian Hecker - Rose

2003 Horrifying now to think I spent the best part of £30 on these two, but they both had a couple of winners on them

Kings of Leon - Youth and Young Manhood
The Darkness - Permission to Land.

Early summer 2003. I remember buying Permission to Land from Sainsbury’s and then having a (in hindsight) pathetic argument with a friend about which band was more “rock n’ roll”

Andrew WK - The Wolf
The Rapture- Echoes
Patrick Wolf - Lycanthropy

All in August (I think) in 2003. I bought all three from MVC in my home town. IIRC there was only one copy of each album in the shop on release, such was the ways of MVC. Copied all of them to cassette when I got home and had them on replay on my walkman for weeks. No idea which one holds up best now.

Great thread. Anyone else?

I guess I’m interesting if anyone bought Use Your Illusion 1 and 2, and Human Touch / Lucky Town on the day of release. Have any other bands done this since?

• Nirvana - Nevermind
  • Pixies - Trompe le Monde
  • Primal Scream - Screamadelica
  • RHCP - Blood Sugar Sex Magic
  • A Tribe Called Quest - Low End Theory

0 voters

All on the same day in 1991 apparently

4 Likes

(I was 2 so I didn’t buy any of them at the time)

1 Like

In my younger, gothier, days, I was proper stumped when New Model Army, Fields Of The Nephilim and Mega City Four (not goth) had albums out on the same day and my pocket money would only stretch to buying one. Think the release day winner was Elyzium by the mighty* Neph.

*ish

2 Likes

Coldplay - A Rush of blood to the head and QOTSA - Songs for the Deaf both came out on 26 August 2002, which I mainly remember as it was my 18th birthday.

Foreverland by The Divine Comedy and My Woman by Angel Olsen both came out on 2 September 2016, which I only know because I bought them both in a sleep-deprived stupor the day after my daughter was born.

2 Likes

I was in 6th form and this was pretty much what I listened to. Owned them all except rhcp, which I did have a taped copy of but did an awful lot of skipping.
Didn’t buy them all on the same day tbh.

1 Like

Gonna rep heavily for Echoes.

2 Likes

Blur - blur
Divine comedy - a short album about love
Mansun - attack of the grey lantern

And

Kenickie - at the club
SFA - Radiator
Stereophonics - word gets around

Are the ones I remember. Clearly I stopped noticing this stuff in 1997

2 Likes

I googled it as I couldn’t remember but I was sure something else famous came out the same day as Pet Sounds. Blonde on Blonde apparently.

1 Like

Portishead - Dummy
Sebadoh - Bakesale

(1994 was an amazing year for album releases for me.)

5 Likes

New order - get ready
Bjork - vespertine
Mercury rev - all is dream

Is This It by the Strokes came out the same day too, I bought that and Mercury Rev together…

3 Likes

OK Computer and Ladies and Gentlemen we are Floating in Space

11 Likes

You got there 3 minutes before me :wink:

R.E.M.'s Up and Spiritualized’s Live At The Royal Albert Hall came out on the same day, which directly led me to unfairly ignoring the former album for more than a decade…

The only pair I remember without looking up is Kid A and Green Day’s Warning back on October 3rd 2000. A good day to be an unhappy freshman in college.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure that Loveless and Bandwagonesque came out on the same day, 4th November 1991. Wikipedia suggests Bandwagonesque came out on the 19th but I can remember buying both albums on the same day, and found a Steve Sutherland review of it from Melody Maker that says it was coming out on the 4th, I’m sure that’s confirmation!!

1 Like

Manic Street Preachers - The Holy Bible
Oasis - Definitely Maybe

29th August 1994

5 Likes

I remember having about £12 on me at HMV Oxford Street during that week.

The Jesus Lizard -Down was also released that week. It was a toss up between me buying Oasis or The Jesus Lizard. I chose the latter. One of the best choices I’ve made and I’m still glad to not own any Oasis albums.

7 Likes

Hello new user!

1 Like