🎧 Albums/songs of the year lists 2020 🎵

Very happy with recordstore putting Delmer Darion as number five. Lovely album. Ordered the vinyl at the last Bandcamp Friday and it arrived earlier this week.

2 Likes

I like the artwork. What’s the music like?

It doesn’t sound like the artwork! :smiley:
Recordstore describe them as being like (or for fans of?) Low and Radiohead. Kind of atmosoheric electronic sort of sounds, with guest singers (including one who apparently goes by the name Guest Singer). Kind of a few different sounds in there, and one song which sounds exactly like Sleep Party People, which is a big plus for me. Worth a listen, as it definitely gets better with more listens.

1 Like

Think this undersells the album if anything. It’s a concept album about the death of Satan which touches folk, drone, IDM - a really unique work, one of the most interesting albums this year I think. Need to listen to it a few more times but reckon it’s very worthy of the recognition.

3 Likes

Thank you both. Feel I should listen to this!

1 Like

Bit of a weird list this, only nine albums - you’d think they could have found one more to make a round ten!

I’ve got Uncut for nearly 20 years since my early 20s - the reviews section still turns me on to lots of good new stuff and its also help me to dig into some older treasures.
Been reading Mojo more regularly since the Readly app and it’s reviews section has also given me some nice tip offs - particularly on a jazz tip
These mags have a certain reputation I think largely because of their uber predictable heritage act covers and features but plenty to recommend them.

3 Likes

BBC Radio 6 Music:

1. Sault
  2. Fontaines D.C.
  3. Fleet Foxes
  4. BC Camplight
  5. Bob Dylan
  6. Nadine Shah
  7. Cornershop
  8. Run The Jewels
  9. Doves
  10. Sports Team

dull as dishwater.

2 Likes

Seems a bit of a harsh assessment (Sports Team apart)

1 Like

Yeah probably, although the inclusion of Sports Team renders any list as shit.

2 Likes

Guess I should give Sault a listen.

6 Music list seems fine to me. I don’t listen to 6 but presumably this list reflects what they’ve ended up playing a lot during the year. Same with the Uncut & Mojo lists, seem pretty solid representations of the music they cover. It’s nice to have a few oddballs but would be a bit weird if the lists looked like the Quietus or something.

Sault also my number 1 album. BC Camplight and maybe Nadine Shah would make my top 10. Liked the Fleet Foxes record too. Not fussed otherwise.

I’m always interested to see how much my taste overlaps with the 6 Music collected view: generally a bit less each year.

The Sault album didn’t do much for me and I’m surprised it’s ranking so high considering I barely heard anything about it during the year. Really weird. Cornershop cropping up in lots of these lists though, might have to give it a listen.

Sault, Bob and RTJ will be top 10 for me too so I think I’m reasonably in favour of this list.

Fontaines at 63 & BC Camplight at 139 on my list, the others are 6/10 records except Sports Team which was actively bad.

They’ve really not had a lot of promotion - it’s my kind of music but I’d not heard of them until I saw their name popping up in the June album of the month poll on here, but they got a few nods in that poll then the follow-up won the September poll.

I prefer the earlier album but they’re both very good - I also think (Black Is) will be the one doing better in the year-end polls because the title (and themes across both albums to be fair) really resonated with Black Lives Matter being such a big movement this year.

1 Like

it’s always bob, even when he doesn’t release anything :laughing:

1 Like

this led me to look up this guy as he’s on ‘Blinding Lights’ and fucking hell, he’s on Lennon and McCartney’s tails for most number 1s

1 Like

The Cornershop album is fantastic, just about the only album this year I’ve found myself going back to again and again

1 Like