Albums that felt like you lost an hour of your life

Think it’s the meandering and coalescing that made this record so special for me.

I love how different we all are and can’t honestly say despite adoring Ys and seeing her play it live, I haven’t listened to it in a decade (due to her not being on streaming)

2 Likes

I love Ys but it’s definitely not the place to start for the Newsom neophyte. Divers is probably the best entrance part- it has everything that makes her great, and it’s much more digestible and less squeaky.

1 Like

No no it’s a deeply serious thread :crazy_face:

2 Likes

I apologise for besmirching it.

2 Likes

The Milk Eyed Minder is her best for me (obviously the voice is at it’s squeakiest but the songs are a lot more accessible)

2 Likes

it’s her best album by miles for me. i like her older stuff as well but i’ve never had any deep connection with it. the White Chalk/Let England Shake direction is far more engaging for me

3 Likes

Same (loved the previous one)

The new Destroyer album

3 Likes

i think all the hype around Black Midi only to find out they’re just an alright math-rock band with a deeply annoying singer was a disappointing one for me.

8 Likes

I like Milk Eyed Mender too but agree with @Murder that Divers is the best point of entry. Certainly was the case for me and it’s probably still my favourite Newsom album (keep trying with Ys but it has never truly clicked for me)

1 Like

Floating Points & Pharoah Sanders - Promises

Once you’ve heard the first five minutes you can really save yourself the folowing forty. Sometimes wonder if the lad playing the (very pretty) keyboard line just stuck it on a loop pedal and went out for a few pints without telling the saxophonist.

12 Likes

Meriwether Post Pavilion. Literally feel like everyone else is either listening to an entirely different record or playing the world’s most pointless practical joke on me.

8 Likes

Prepares sacred bolt gun…

Early REM. I like it well enough, it’s decent music. I even stick it on sometimes, but the way people speak/write about Murmur is like it literally invented music. And sex. It’s just a decent album - I can’t get my head around what is supposed to be so special about it.

9 Likes

Hungry Food GIF by 8it

6 Likes

Scott Walker - The Drift

2 Likes

Was quite excited by the idea of this collaboration, only to discover it’s the same track 9 times

2 Likes

I’ve only heard it once so I can’t really fully explain why but I think just from the pure hype and accolades I was expecting something incredible and I found it to be quite annouing at best. I have heard Good Kid and thought it was alright but nothing I’d return to - will just chalk this one down as being one not for me

Any and every time I’ve been forced to listen to Kanye. Doesn’t matter which album it is. It’s like an ever descending journey through the levels of hell.

5 Likes

We went like five days without a new spicy take thread ffs

4 Likes

I’ll probably get slaughtered for this, but Highway 61 Revisited by Bob Dylan. Irritating vocals, dirgey repetitive guitar melodies, nothing to excite or grab my attention. Kept thinking that people must only enjoy this for the lyrics, and I couldn’t remember anything about it by the time it finished. Have (perhaps foolishly?) refrained from listening to other Dylan albums as a result.

1 Like