Albums that mark a stark contrast in the style of music

to the rest of the band’s output

just listening to Kid Cudi’s last one…it’s very strange

Also intrigued by this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Into_the_Unknown_(Bad_Religion_album)

Morning Benders >> POP ETC

Mumfords and Sons - Wilder Mind :’(

none of that round here

@1101010 ^ this what you’re meaning?

Oh those guys. I wonder how come this one wasn’t auto-flagged for spam. I guess it has some actual writing.

I’ll leave this here until @TKC has heard it then.

I won’t be listening I’m afraid Theo, cheers though!

Well you did ask before. I dunno. Make your mind up.

Deleting .

that was before I realised they were called Stoneship Troopers

It was quite special. One guy singing over a raggedly played distorted electric guitar.

enjoy Stoneship Troopers at the Variety Bazaar!

Bowie, more than a few times:

Space Oddity
The Man Who Sold The World
Hunky Dory
Ziggy Stardust
Young Americans
Station To Station
Low
Scary Monsters
Let’s Dance
Earthling
Blackstar

Cave In - Jupiter
Shora - Malval

Manic Street Preachers - ‘Lifeblood’ - they changed in to Pet Shop Boys.
Pet Shop Boys - ‘Release’ - they changed in to The Smiths.
‘Sandinista!’ by The Clash was different to the previous three albums they released.
Neil Young’s ‘Freedom’ album from the 80s maybe - and the electronic type album he did in the 80s also, which I’ve forgotten what it is called - the one with the vocoder!
U2’s ‘Zooropa’, although they started that direction with ‘Achtung Baby’.

808s & Heartbreak was a huge departure. I haven’t listened to it since MBDTF came out, but at the time I was absolutely obsessed with it. Kanye just wasn’t the artist he is now before that album, it was the last thing I was expecting.

Liked it a lot when it came out, on reflection though there are quite a few weak tracks that don’t go anywhere. Big fan of the sound they were going for though, I hadn’t loved Gangs as much as s/t so I was keen on the brighter direction - if only they wrote some more good songs for it.

Heirs was pretty boring though.

Oh this is an old thread

Heh, that’s strange.

Heirs > All Hail Bright Futures for me. Thought Heirs was a slight return to form, although it took a while to get into. Run Home, Redesigned A Million Times, People Not Sleeping, Fucking Lifer, A Beacon, A Compass, An Anchor and Animal Ghosts are all bangers. Even Wasps grew on me, and I really didn’t feel that at all.

Gangs > everything else they’ve ever done though. Exceptional record that.