Albums with less than 10 tracks: always good

russian circles whole existence is filler

3 Likes

9 is an annoyingly odd number though.

i think i’m more preoccupied with the duration than the number of tracks. anything between 30 and 40 minutes is perfect, preferably hovering somewhere around 35.

2 Likes

Haha tastes good to me

I dare you to listen to this turd (4 tracks):

Many other terrible 70s prog-rock albums are available.

4 Likes

Skeleton Tree

2 Likes

Nonagon Infinity by King Gizzard. Quarters is pretty great too!

1 Like

Originally I thought “9 tracks, what?” But you know what, every single one (even 1985) is an absolute banger.

1 Like

It’s a shame most artists nowadays are under a huge amount of pressure to throw as many tracks/bonus tracks onto an album as possible to increase their Spotify/Apple Music ratings and royalties.

So you end up with utter messes like the James Blake record or any number of the pop/hip hop records that bloat out into 20 tracks, that could’ve made a great 10 track record.

3 Likes

I’d say total running time is a better metric. With every minute over 40 being one too many. But ten tracks is also a decent guideline.

Exhibit A
Aphex Twin: Richard D James Album; 10 tracks; 31 minutes, 52 seconds

3 Likes

Heh, just clocked that that’s the only Aphex album proper that runs under an hour. No wonder it’s usually everyone’s favourite!

Japandroids - post nothing

Went round a friends last night and he was listening to it and I felt the nostalgia wash over me. Eight tracks of greatness!

2 Likes

s/t by viet cong too- only 7 but a masterpiece

1 Like

New Order.

When a band starts releasing double albums or constantly going past the hour mark they have become self indulgent and need to self edit. (im looking at you Arcade Fire!)

I like short albums. I think 30mins is a perfect length really. Sure if you want your album to have an epic feel to it you can go on longer but far too many artists fail in this

Led Zep probably the masters of this

Depeche Mode - Violator

4 Likes

45 minutes (one side of a C90 cassette) shoul be a legally enforced maximum length for all albums

7 Likes

Heaven is Earth by Self Defense Family last year was 8 tracks of perfection

1 Like

Shorter albums work so much better in my opinion. I like the 1975 album but I think I’d like it more if 5-6 tracks were cut out.
Alvvays is a fine example of a short album which really works.

1 Like

Just listening to the girl band debut and reading this. Hadn’t realised it was only 9 tracks until now