Albums with one great side

Listened to Bang Bang Rock & Roll for the first time in a while last night and realised that I love side A as much as anything ever. Absolute 10/10 perfection. Side B I can take or leave.

Those first 6 tracks are untouchably excellent imo

Any others?

1 Like

Sleater Kinney’s One Beat is wall to wall bangers for the first side, more of a mixed bag in the second.

One Beat
Far Away
Oh!
The Remainder
Light Rail Coyote
Step Aside

Combat Rock
O2
Funeral Song
Prisstina
Hollywood Ending
Sympathy

The CD version of OK Computer.

2 Likes

Which side?

The shiny metal one!

4 Likes

Love - Da Capo…

First side is every bit as good as Forever Changes. Side B is handed over to the meandering jam Revelation which is a bit :woman_shrugging:

Side A
Stephanie Knows Who 2:33
Orange Skies 2:49
¡Que Vida! 3:37
Seven & Seven Is 2:15
The Castle 3:00
She Comes In Colors 2:43

Side B
Revelation 18:57

3 Likes

Whole album is very good but the first side of REM’s Document is basically flawless

4 Likes

I agree apart from 18,000 Lira which is my fave :nerd_face:

First side of Hot Fuss, innit. No matter what you think of them now, it’s a corker

7 Likes

Fugazi - In on the Kill Taker

Wall to wall bangers on side A, side B is fine

1 Like

Great example. That first side is amazing. Second side starts with The One I Love then meanders off into the sunset a bit.

Closing song is the best though

Hunky Dory fits the bill:

Side one

1. Changes” – 3:37
  2. Oh! You Pretty Things” – 3:12
  3. “Eight Line Poem” – 2:55
  4. Life on Mars?” – 3:43
  5. Kooks” – 2:53
  6. Quicksand” – 5:08

Side two has The Bewlay Brothers which is possibly the greatest Bowie song ever but the rest of it doesn’t live up to Side One.

4 Likes

Oddfellows is good but Disturbance at the Heron House is my favourite song on Document. There seems to be a pattern of albums with great first sides and then disappointing second sides ending with a great song (see also Hunky Dory).

Can take or leave most of side one of Born in the USA but side 2 is smash after smash.

5 Likes

Such a good example

No Surrender into Bobby Jean, phoar

7 Likes

Yeezus sounds like the greatest album ever made for the first four tracks, back end, not so much

7 Likes

Maybe Silent Alarm by Bloc Party? Like Eating Glass through She’s Hearing Voices feels like a great album, but after that it starts feeling more like a collection of songs.

1 Like

Probably the two best tracks after that though IMO (This Modern Love and So Here We Are)

• Second half of bang bang rock and roll isn’t that good
  • It’s impossible for anything to follow the ‘we went to the cinema…’ bit of good weekend without seeming disappointing in comparison

0 voters