Algiers

Rather enjoyed the debut, so interested to see how this turns out.

3 Likes

Plus two UK gigs

June 6 - Brighton, UK – Patterns
June 7 - London, UK - Shacklewell Arms

Very interested also. Iirc the debut was in my top 5 albums of 2015.

found a rip of this. pretty good so far.

update: it’s not bad, but I feel like this should be much better than it is. Maybe it’ll grow on me, but I wasn’t especially taken with their last album either.

2 Likes

I got round to listening to this today. I like it a lot. Possibly very a lot. Cry of the Martyrs is definitely a stand out at the moment.

2 Likes

Yep, an incredible album. So many great tracks and sounds and stunning vocals. Wanna hear it live now!

A little late discovering Algiers, so need to dig into the debut album too.

God damn it Pitchfork

It’s very good, love the song Animals in particular

A brilliant album. Looking forward to further listens. I came across them accidentally when they supported Viet Cong at The Scala a few years ago. Great live too.

Proper band

Viet Cong + Algiers = Winning Combo

Was Matt Tong playing with Algiers by then?

Viet Cong/Preoccupations is another band I need to see, particularly having had to miss their Oval Space gig. I’m assuming they were great live too, right?

I don’t know if he was playing to be honest. I hadn’t heard of Algiers before but it was just luck that we decided to get an overpriced can at The Scala and see the support than a pub pint. Viet Cong were good but Algiers were better live probably as I wasn’t expecting such a good support act. Unfortunately I haven’t had the chance to see them live subsequently.

I found it interesting how many of the other positive reviews were essentially coming at it from Pitchfork’s “Is it timely a relevant?” angle, while Pitchfork acknowledged that it is timely and relevant… but not enough and not hitting with enough impact.

Ah, bless the Scala and its all too tempting, overpriced cans! Those cans knew best.

1 Like

Warm cans of Red Stripe for £5.

Should be the slogan for The Scala.

1 Like

There’s nothing more refreshing in a hot gig venue, where the walls are sweating as much as the punters. Delicious, warm Red Stripe.

Club Tropi-Scala where the drinks are warm…

(Sorry - drifting off topic here. Algiers are still awesome.)

Community room of the brudenell? Crikey