🦴 All the spooky kids in here - The Rolling Horror Thread 2023... 🦴

Dream Warriors is legit great. Should warn you…there is a BIG drop off in the next couple until New Nightmare :grimacing:

2 Likes

Did a rewatch last Halloween with the TV. Enjoyed it even more the second time around :+1:

I am expecting that! But I’m also enjoying going in blind, have absolutely no idea of any plots

1 Like

And maybe the greatest film theme song of all time

1 Like

1, 2, & 3 are all fantastic, for different reasons. I think 2 is the most overlooked. They do get worse from here, but still decent nonetheless. 3 is a lot of fun.

Would probably go, 1 > 2 > 3, just.

2 Likes

The cenobite was better than all the Hellraiser cenobites, except Pinhead.

2 Likes

Watched a couple this weekend, so here’s some thoughts (apologies if this ends up being a hefty post) :

The Ruins (2008)
One i’d been intending to watch for a while, having read the book (by Scott Smith, also wrote the screenplay for the film) a couple of years back and really enjoying it. The film was alright, as it was the same writer it was fairly close to the book, thought some of the characters were great, and some of them not so much (the character Amy was more irritating in the film than the book imo). Would recommend as a watch for a “nature” horror, as it is pretty creepy in parts and, if unaware of the plot has some excellent surprises/twists. Spoiler alert : The plants echoing the phone ringing for instance, or the voices I though really interesting.

The Poughkeepsie Tapes (2007)
So this was kind of a rewatch, though on my first watch I did miss chunks off it/wasn’t paying attention and on this watch, I was paying attention. I do enjoy the faux documentary style, so that was a winner for me, as well as found footage. The interspersing of the footage found from the killer/interviews/class footage worked for me, as thought the plot of the police officer being framed as the killer, then the real killer revealing the cops innocence after execution was quite something and kept it from being too formulaic. There was some pretty hard to watch scenes, and some violence/gore which felt added just to make it more extreme rather than adding anything to the plot. Overall quite enjoyed it as a watch and glad I gave it a rewatch to see it properly.

4 Likes

Gaia - odd to release The Last of Us 3 as a film under a different name

Watched last night, A Haunting In Venice…

NGL, I’ve always loved a bit of Poirot. This is halfway between a whodunnit and a ghost story, which worked for me as I love both of those genres. The setting and production design are sublime - a crumbling venetian house full of flickering lights, dark shadows and slamming doors is pretty much the star of the show. Score by Hildur Guðnadóttir is great too. This falls down a little by not being able to quite service all of the characters in its all star cast - guess big ensembles are a necessity for these kind of crime capers in order to keep you guessing until the final reveal. Tina Fey, Kelly Reilly, Jamie Dornan and Michelle Yeoh all make the most of their screen time. I’ve not read the original Agatha Christie novel Halloween Story, but apparently the film is nothing like a direct adaptation.The twist at the end is actually pretty well handled tbf. Worth a watch around Halloween I reckon. 7/10

4 Likes

Also, watched - officially not a horror film as ^per TKC, The Royal Hotel…

For a non horror, this is very effective at building a doomy sense of dread throughout. What starts as a care free roadtripping film soon becomes increasingly anxiety inducing. Similar to the director’s previous film The Assistant, this is a study of the micro aggressions the two leads face in their everyday life. Nice use of locations, flitting between the sparse beauty of the outback and the claustrophobia of the crumbling titular hotel. Julia Garner and Jessica Henwick are both great as the leads. Took me ages to work out where I recognised the hotel owner from, only to realise it was Agent Smith/Lord Elrond himself - a delightfully scuzzy turn from Hugo Weaving. Builds to a satisfying finale. 8/10

3 Likes

Watched yesterday: Fear Street: 1666. Well this was a thoroughly enjoyable trilogy. Pessimist that I am, I went into this assuming that it might fumble the ball in a major way but other than some distractingly wonky accents at the beginning, I loved this. Fun to see lots of cast members from the first two reappearing here and anything set in the US during the era of witch-hunt paranoia has a good chance of doing it for me. Comes with a good message too and one that is increasingly relevant when the right in the US seems determined to erode as many civil liberties as they can. Loved the ending. No spoilers here but when the title Fear Street: 1994 Part 2 popped up, I was grinning like a loon. If, like me, you slept on these when they first came out, I’d definitely recommend checking them out.

2 Likes

Saw the first one because of your recommendation but assumed it would be diminishing returns. I’ll be getting on the other two!

1 Like

Nice! Not gonna say too much, but if you liked part 1, I think you’ll really enjoy part 3. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Glad you enjoyed these all the way through :+1:

2 Likes

Nothing bad to say about them, engaging story, engaging performances, took themselves seriously when they needed to but still managed to be fun watches. I’d be more than happy to see more trilogies done like this if they can be pulled off this well.

Torn Hearts is a decent enough horror/thriller but it just had nothing new to say. Does what it did well despite a couple of ‘really?’ moments but it felt pretty unambitious

1 Like

It’s hard to get a handle on RL Stine’s overall oeuvre as he’s done just so much, so I don’t know where Fear Street sits in the many series he’s written. Don’t know how close the the books they are, but if the TV versions are that good would definitely watch more.

Coincidentally, we’re currently watching the latest Goosebumps TV series as a family which is the perfect level of peril for an 8 and 10 year old (after having to abandon Harlan Coben’s Shelter, which was somewhat not age approrpriate) and also damn entertaining. Plus has hints of ANOES and Stranger Things season four about it. We’ve previously watched Just Beyond and The Haunting Hour both adapted from RL Stine stuff which are also great younger child gateways to horror themes :+1:

1 Like

If online rumours are to be believed, it looks like there are plans underway to do more Fear Street stuff in the future. I really hope they just leave those first 3 films alone and do something new but along the same lines…

Creepy toys are always (ok, often) good but that reminds me why I tend not to watch spoilers - gives away the whole plot and what looks like could be the two best scares :woman_shrugging: