4. Grandaddy
  5. Gorky’s Zygotic Mynci

Strongest letter so far?

Guided by Voices
Girl Band
Gang of Four
Goat
Girls Names

At first I thought I was going to struggle for Gs, then the more I thought, I realised it’s full of riches…

1: Goldfrapp
2: Grandaddy
3. George Michael
4. Godspeed You! Black Emperor
5. Global Communication

Still shining in the dark: GAS, Gruff Rhys, Girl Talk, Gang Starr, Ghost, Genesis, Goldie Lookin Chain, Gravenhurst, Grizzly Bear, Guided By Voices, Grum, Grouper, Gonjasufi, Gay Dad, GZA, Grinderman, Got A Girl, Gunship, The Gutter Twins, Greg Dulli, Grace Jones, Gazelle Twin, Gary Numan, Garbage, Gang Of Four, Gomez, Giant Drag, Greenkeepers, Gogol Bordello, Gus Gus…

The Go-Betweens
Grinderman
Gil Scott Heron
Godspeed You Black Emperor
Gareth Liddiard

The Go! Team
Guerilla Toss
Godspeed You! Black Emperor
Grimes
Geskia!

1. Godspeed You! Black Emperor
  2. Green Day
  3. Getup Kids
  4. Grizzly Bear
  5. Greg Dulli

Honorable mentions to Girl Band, who I’m just getting into, and Grandaddy, who I inexplicably forgot about years ago as I was getting into them.

Ordering these is tough. I’ll give #1 to Godspeed since Lift Yr Skinny Fists is one of the few greatest albums ever.

Green Day had an amazing career before falling off a cliff after American Idiot. Hopefully it’s not a hot take that their best two albums are Warning and Insomniac.

I haven’t listened to Getup Kids in awhile, but 19 year old me loved them and at the very least musically the songs still hold up. Close to Home remains a perfect song.

I’m still struggling with the rest of Grizzly Bear’s albums, but Shields is great and has two of the very best songs of last decade in Yet Again and Half Gate.

Greg Dulli getting the 5 spot is based off of his brand new, already excellent solo career. If you factor in Afghan Whigs and Twilight Singers, he’d be an easy number 1.

2 Likes

Godlesh
Gaye Bykers On Acid
GWAR
Guns n’ Roses
GZA

1 Like

This is probably right. Loved them as a kid and have very little interest in them today but on my occasional revisits, Insomniac is easily the one that holds up best to my adult ears. My old favourites Dookie and Nimrod sound incredibly patchy to me now.

Haven’t heard Warning in a long time but it always felt like their most grown up album - it was the first one I heard when my brother bought it and I assumed they were some indie rock band rather than ‘pop-punk’. I imagine it must stand up well enough for that reason. It’s funny that they grew up briefly and then just completely regressed again soon after. Church on Sunday popped into my head about a week ago and I felt a real fondness at the memory of it.

The other one I thought stood up surprisingly well on my last revisit was Kerplunk

2 Likes

Godspeed You Black Emporer
Grouper
Gregor Samsa
God Machine
Gang Of Four

That’s another mighty 5.

I’m not too good at alphabetising by first name, I’ll have to cut off Girls Aloud for George Michael

Yeah, that’s pretty much how I feel too. Usually when a band makes the “they’re mature now” album it’s a sign they got boring, but with Warning they actually pulled it off. I love the melodies and the sadness running through it (and similarly the heavier, crankier nature of Insomniac). That’s a good call about it being an indie rock album, I’d never thought about it that way.

I definitely need to revisit Kerplunk, I’m realizing now I haven’t listened to it in 20 years. Back then I remember liking 39/Smooth more, but possibly solely due to Going to Pasalacqua.

1 Like

Gorilla Biscuits
Glassjaw
Guided By Voices
The Get Up Kids
Gouge Away

Ginger Wildheart
Guns N Roses
Grandaddy
Gaz Coombes
Gallows

1 Like