Alphabet of Music - H

fuck, forgot about The Haxan Cloak. Could I revise my list please @Brainfreeze?

1. Happy Mondays
  2. The Human League
  3. Hawkwind
    4.The Haxan Cloak
  4. Henry Mancini

Soz Horace, you’re out.

1 Like
  1. Holy Fawn
  2. The Hotelier
  3. Hot Snakes
  4. Hop Along
  5. The Hand

Very honorable mention to Hammock (I need more time with them but I love Everything and Nothing) and Hebronix (who might have the best single song out of anyone on this list in Unliving).

Holy Fawn released a masterpiece in 2018. It’s dreamy and heavy and massive. I wish there was more music like this and this good. Probably a top 10 album of last decade.

Home Like Noplace Is There and Goodness are both classics, and Dendron is one of the best album closers ever.

I’m fairly new to Hot Snakes (and their other bands) but Jericho Sirens is fantastic and I’m enjoying Audit In Progress so far too on my first few listens. Wish I could have voted for Drive Like Jehu since Yank Crime is incredible.

Great melodic indie rock. What a voice. The bridge in this song is so good.

I have no idea how I first heard about The Hand. They released four short EP’s on bandcamp around the time of the 2016 election. If they ever do a full album they’ll shoot up this list, and they’re a MUST for anyone who likes the Hot Snakes and Fake Train era Unwound. Lots of furious anti-Trump sentiment.

Also, until today I’ve shamefully never listened to a Hole album despite loving all of their singles. They get a big nod though on account of being the only band to both a) recognize that Billy Corgan could effortlessly write amazing songs and b) consequently bring him in to write songs for / with them and develop their songwriting skills. (Source: Patty Schemel’s autobiography). If this practice had caught on it would have revolutionized music, but sadly here we are in shit world.

1 Like

Not a strong letter for me, but still some gems.

Hope of the States
Hope Sandoval and the Warm Inventions
Hood
Harold Budd
Hugo Largo.

Sadly it looks like that bunch of psycho drug dealers from ‘Madchester’ will take this. Fuckin wasters.

Hüsker Dü
Holy Fawn
Holly Herndon
Haru Nemuri
The Horrors

Revised version 'cos I’m stupid and forgot Herbie Hancock, plus I didn’t order them properly:

1. Hannah Peel
  2. Harmony Rockets
  3. Honeyblood
  4. Herbie Hancock
  5. Hugo Largo

Thought the DiS crowd were a bit young for the Mondays. Quite surprised by all the votes.

Maybe their ‘antics’ seem like harmless fun at 3 decades distance. Too many poshtwat journalists normalised their thuggery for free E. And they put the final nails into Factory Records’ coffin. So fuck their shit … (sorry, having 90s flashbacks of baggy jeans and smiley t-shirts).

1 Like

Jeezus. I didn’t realise people actually liked the H * * * y M * * * * * s

1 Like

No Holopaw yet? :frowning:

Hello:

1. Hot Chip
  2. The Haxan Cloak
  3. Holly Herndon
  4. Hallucinogen
  5. The Horrors

Hell of a loss: Hal, Hammock, Handsome Boy Modelling School, Handsome Furs, Hans Zimmer, Hayden Thorpe, The Heads, The Heartwood Institute, The Herbalist, Herbert, Högni, Holy Fuck, Hotel Neon, Hybrid…

As if.

1. Happy Mondays
  2. Holy Fuck
  3. H ZETTRIO
  4. Hooton Tennis Club
  5. The Horrors

Hot Chip
Holly Herndon
Herbie Hancock
The Hives
Hybrid

Hot Water Music
Husker Do
Hot Snakes
Hot Rod Circuit
Half Man Half Biscuit

If we are going to start excluding all the artists that took too many drugs and behaved like dicks then I’m going to struggle to find five for every letter

5 Likes

Hot Chip
Holy Fuck
Hope Sandoval
Helium
Howlin’ Wolf

Hi. I’m not intending to exclude any artist from consideration. It’s a free speaking forum.

I don’t see the HMs as benign as ‘taking too many drugs and acting like arseholes’. They promoted a drug taking lifestyle for their own profit and there were many young impressionable casualties. It was super cynical and I can’t separate that from the music. I will be similarly triggered by the Libertines when when reach letter L !! :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Hair and Skin Trading Company
Holy Fuck
Hole
Head of David
Haxan Cloak