"Alternative" 60s/early 70s rock albums

What are some great rock-adjacent albums from the 60s and pre-punk 70s era that aren’t part of the usual boring boomer pop canon?

There were loads of smaller labels and bands back then but I don’t feel like there’s a commonly accepted term to refer to these older acts like we do to “outsider” bands today with your “indie/alternative” terminology. Makes it harder to find shit online.

Stuff like The Monks (looks like their one album isn’t in Spotify)?

6 Likes

I suppose the counter culture stuff was garage rock and psych. But there’s got to be stuff that’s good that doesn’t just sound like the 13 floor elevators

2 Likes

Not sure The Misunderstood meet the criteria of not sounding like The 13th Floor Elevators :thinking:

I really like the Margo Guryan record from the late 60’s. It feels familiar but also out of step with most other rock / pop music from the same era.

3 Likes

Some 70s pre punk / alt prog (?) and stuff - all have great albums

Bebop Deluxe

Man (Back into the Future) - amazing, especially this one and the outro

Kevin Coyne (Blame it on the Night is my favourite album but Marjory Razorblade is rockier)

Sensational Alex Harvey Band

1 Like

I had a really fun afternoon a few weeks ago listening to these compilations of late 60s/early 70s French stuff.

The first one was a lot of ye ye / chanteuse stuff, the third one was a lot weirder and psych-y.

3 Likes

Ok i gotta make a list of this stuff

Judy Henske and Jerry Yester (Farewell Aldebaran)

1 Like

What an album!

1 Like

David Ackles (S/T and American Gothic are both lost classics IMO - though perhaps pushing the Rock adjacent angle)

Sandy Bull – E Pluribus Unum

Somewhere between Fahey-guitar and psychedelic raga

1972 Nottingham, insane.

3 Likes

this rips

2 Likes

My Da was always into the Edgar Broughton Band. This just doesn’t let up.

This Post Paid For By PROF$.

6 Likes
3 Likes

Oh, and Death natch…

3 Likes

Heard this on a short film a few years back and absolutely love it.

1 Like
1 Like
2 Likes