Am I being left open to a proper good fucking here?

Haha tricked you into a very boring employment law thread didn’t I! No wait! Come back.

I have a fixed term contract that is due to expire soon and was expecting to be given a new contract to sign. I have also requested a change to my working hours as part of this contract renewal.

I have received a letter which is ostensibly all about my working hours request being acccepted - the subject line is “flexible working”, then a whole page letter about that subject. THEN at the end of the letter it says:

"Following confirmation of XXXX I can confirm that your position as XXXX has been confirmed on a permanent basis.

All other terms and conditions remain the same."

I’ve been told by email that this equates to a new contract. I haven’t signed anything. Is this a new contract?

xx

How long have you been working for the company?

just under 12 months

Er, pass then. Though I don’t think that you’ve been screwed over and I think you only have to sign something if it’s likely to potentially worsen your situation.

1 Like

If that happens in our work there are normally two copies of the permanent contract enclosed with the letter (one to be kept by you, the other to be signed and returned to the company).

1 Like

Sign it with a big ‘X’ and then if you get a proper good fucking here you can claim you never signed it properly. I believe that’s called a ‘loophole’ taps nose

2 Likes

Get the gas and air lad cos they’re having your adenoids out good and proper here

5 Likes

So, there’s a page in the letter saying you can have flexible working but then the line at the end say’s nothing is changing? That right?

Maybe the ‘All other terms and conditions remain the same.’ bit is just a bit of copy/paste from a template? I’d just clarify it with your manager.

What kind of hours are you changing to if you don’t mind me asking?

No I’m taking that to mean all terms and conditions other than the flexible working and the permanency remain the same

I do not. Going from 35 per week over Monday-Fri to 28 per week Tue-Fri

yeah that’s what I think too. and what they have just advised. feel a bit uneasy about it tho.

Nice, I’d like to do that myself but can’t until work start paying me more.

oh right hang on. think my phrasing of the OP has made this a confusing query. I’m not worried about the flexible working being taken away, I’m worried about my permanent contract not actually existing outside this bit of paper.

as per reply to @NickDS the “all other terms and conditions” bit comes after stuff about flexible working and the role now being permanent.

yes this is an issue. I get paid quite poorly for what I actually do to be honest, but the Mrs is on £££

this bit of paper. If I write back stating that my salary has increased to £55k is that legally binding on them?

love this story :slight_smile:

2 Likes

From my experience this seems right. In my company if you get a promotion you just get a letter explaining what’s changed (title, salary, bonus etc) and when it’s effective from. It’s titled a ‘contract amendment letter’ and says that the letter represents an amendment to your existing contract of employment and all other terms and conditions remain the same.

CWBAFT

2 Likes