Amanda Palmer and her extensive studies of Weimar Germany

all of the people she’s supposedly an ally for could actually be slowly stripped of their rights, access to insurance/medical services, resources and reproductive healthcare but PUNK ROCK, guys!!!

turns out this is quite a common thing for white post-hardcore bros to say as well… “BUT THE REGAN YEARS”. fuck off.

4 Likes

re: the first bit: not that it isn’t already happening.

I love all the art produced by Weimar Germany. So much of it to choose from. Like… the novels of Christopher Isherwood? And… erm… was Brecht around then? I haven’t really seen any Brecht.

(Or read any Isherwood).

YOU! I WANNA TAKE YOU TO THE WEIMAR!

14 Likes

I remember watching a TED talk by her on YouTube out of sheer masochism.

It was terrible and she’s terrible. Also not punk in the slightest.

“We’re all going to crawl down staircases into basements and speakeasies and make amazing satirically political art.”

That’s what’ll happen, aye.

10 Likes

american mate of mine says he’s quitting his band to start a noise band because trump

hmm

1 Like

TRONALD DUMP

1 Like

ROSCOE: Marlon what did you have planned for today!?!?!?!?!!

MARLON: Well I was going to play on the Amiga until sundown and then probably cook up some smoked salmon.

ROSCOE: I thought you hated smoked salmon.

MARLON: I do, but it’s my favourite thing to cook.

ROSCOE: Oh well, cancel your plans! We have a punk rock band to form in response to the political situation in the United States.

MARLON: Oh.

ROSCOE: You seem disappointed. Were you–

MARLON: No, no, I’d just started to pre-heat the oven.

ROSCOE: Well, I’m sure we can–

MARLON: No it’s fine. I can switch it off, I just don’t like to waste the gas. But no, if you get everything you need I can switch the oven off and meet you at the train station.

ROSCOE: Thanks, man, thanks. (beat) It really means a lot.

MARLON: It’s fine, really. Not a problem.

MARLON walks into the kitchen to switch the oven off. He says something under his breath.

ROSCOE: Wha

MARLON: Nothing. Just, just get your stuff, I’ll meet you at the station.

Cut to the train station. ROSCOE is waiting at the platform, MARLON shows up.

ROSCOE: Hey man.

MARLON: Sup.

They both get on the train.

ROSCOE: One train to America, please

TRAIN DOCTOR: No problemo

The train goes to America and they are in America and ROSCOE and MARLON disembark in America to form a punk rock band. They rent out a really expensive rehearsal space so they can inspire the disillusioned masses

ROSCOE: LETS WRITE A SONG

MARLON: OKAY THEN

M-B quickly realises that he has no idea where this is actually going and is not sure why he could write so much natural dialogue about pre-heating the oven but actually has no clue at all how to progress the main storyline of this whole bit

ROSCOE: NEEDS MORE GUITARS I RECKON

MARLON: THE DRUMMING WAS MY FAVOURITE PART

M-B is looking at the shit, aghast, wondering why he’d even started typing this out in the first place. Usually, he thinks to himself, I have some heavy-handed satirical point I can shoehorn in there that both makes the point while kind of keeping a cynical, ironic distance from the point in case another DiSer thinks that the point, on its own, would have been stupid and ill-informed. Either way, he perseveres with what little he has to work with.

ROSCOE: WHAT ABOUT LYRICS SHOULD WE DO IT ABOUT POLITICS

MARLON: ROSCOE I THINK I WILL FREESTYLE OVER IT

ROSCOE: GO FER IT DADDIO

ROSCOE starts playing the song live with the spontaneous energy that punk rock is known for; he has forced five session musicians to play in his band at gunpoint saying that he’ll buy them one beer to share between them if they play the song without any funny business.
They are playing the song. If you were in attendance at the session, you would probably make a remark about how this band sure know how to both rock and simultaneously roll, but as you aren’t you will just have to take my word for it and fucking trust me for once

MARLON: (singing)
THIS SOCIETYYYYY
CORPORATE OPPRESSION
MORAL DISPARITYYYY
I JUST WANTED TO COOK
A SMOKED SALMON DIIIISH
LIKE I DO ON WEDNESDAYS
I LOVE TO COOK THAT PARTICULAR FIIIISH

ROSCOE, at this point, begins to feel very uncomfortable. Having been convinced enough that MARLON had been fine with the arrangement, he now realises this was not the case and feels like really socially awkward about it. He tries to Google search for a meme that expresses this particular feeling of awkwardness, but being unable to find one, only feels more powerfully a bit alone in this feeling of intense slight discomfort. In the end, the band don’t really go anywhere. Not that it mattered because it turned out the recording studio was actually just a branch of Currys PC World or whatever the American equivalent of Currys PC World happens to be all along, so they couldn’t have recorded anything anyway. All of which essentially disproves AMANDA PALMER probably.

Meanwhile, STEVE ALBINI is cooking up a mean smoked salmon with a very self-satisfied expression on his face

20 Likes

alright my friend that James Murphy heard about

1 Like

If she’d really studied Weimar Germany, she’d know that it didn’t stop millions of people dying in a needless and cruel war.

Brecht means Brecht.

7 Likes

People still pay attention to stuff Amanda Palmer says?

nope

hey, it’s IRONIC, she says clearly “it’s a scary time to be a woman or part of any minority, it’s been a total shit show” and implies that on the up side punk may revive.

a bit like when we in the UK say “the Thatcher years were shit but there were some good bands out of the desolation, because music was all we had”, y’know?

Welcome to the boards, Mandy.

1 Like

Did her extensive research not show her that Weimar Germany was a period of relative social democratic stability?

Alright, Wikipedia.

*Wikismeedia