Amazing Aunts

Also when the baby was born on Armistice Day my response to the picture of him in his swaddling was WHERE’S HIS FUCKING POPPY??? which I think is amazing aunt behaviour

5 Likes

I’ve got 3. All getting on a bit now, my mum was the second youngest of 7 kids. Her sisters are now between 80 and 86. Really sad to think they won’t be around in a few years.

also got a 3rd aunt who has always been nice to me but is sadly a massive tory. her kids are these muscly bronzed rowing gap year types, always weirds me out when i remember that they’re my blood relatives. my dad’s not really close to her (cos of the tory thing) so we basically meet them once a year after christmas for a few awkward hours in a pub

I have no aunts (or uncles)

Think my Aunt is probably a really nice person but for various dull reasons have never really got to know her.

One of my aunts saw The Sugarcubes live which I think is pretty cool, and is obsessed with cats as I am. My dad is the youngest of 5 and my mum the oldest of 8 so my aunties and uncles have a 30 year age range.

I have two aunts, my mum’s sister and her partner, and they’re the best. I lived with them for a few months on my year abroad and we had a great time watching football, making empanadas and driving around the Argentinian countryside. Great bunch of aunts.

2 Likes

I had two great aunts who were sisters and ran an off licence. Aunty May had to become a Carmelite nun to overcome her alcoholism. Aunty Nora brought my mum a crate of Guinness when she was pregnant, and with the benefit of hindsight, was almost certainly a lesbian.

were they great aunts or were they normal aunts who were great?

Had one when i was a little kid. Can’t remember her name now but she was a lovely older lady who lived next door to us. I hope that the people who bought our house had kids (they didn’t when they bought the ppace, but they were a young couple) so she could be a nice auntie to some more kids.

1 Like

I have loads of these and even as an adult, I’m still working out who I’m actually related to, and who my parents just knew for decades…

1 Like

thanks aunts

thaunts

One sadly dead who was great fun even if she was very very bad at timekeeping and (sadly) had big alcohol issues.

One still going strong (thankfully) in her 70s who was an English teacher for decades then retired and became a vicar and so was able to Christen her own granddaughters, which is very nice even if I don’t go in for religious stuff. She is also very progressive and stuff and, having a gay son, is obviously representing the very progressive spear of the C of E.

I have so many “tías” and whenever I ask my mum how we’re related she gets annoyed and says “she’s just your aunt”. Some of them are my mum’s cousins or second cousins or like third cousins once removed and stuff like that, some of them are just old friends of my parents.

2 Likes

One of my aunts played in the BBC Symphony Orchestra and has survived two brain tumours. She’s now retired and smokes buckets of weed which she gets my cousin to buy for her. She’s in a relationship with the drummer on the Eastenders theme tune. Hero.

8 Likes

Only have one aunt, my uncle’s wife, but she is pretty great. She’s an Ivy League professor and world leading expert in, err, I think Northern Renaissance Flemish art (the dark portrait stuff basically) so a bit of a clever clogs. Very strong Boston accent, which is one of the very best accents to have. Has had MS for decades but still manages to be going at about 110% all the time :muscle:

2 Likes

Joan Auntmatrading

My great aunt Vee lived to a few days shy of her 101st birthday. I find that pretty amazing.

1 Like

They were great aunts who were great

even better!

great² aunts

1 Like