Amazing bands you listen to and nobody knows about

Squidpan

13 Likes

The Donnas

2 Likes

speaking of spanish bands people found at primavera

1 Like

I know them! They’re pretty cool, I was going to see them in my city (Valencia) but I didn’t go :cry:

1 Like

Island of Misfit Toys. I thought they were painfully twee when I first heard them, but then couldn’t stop listening to them:

Solitary Zebra! Isn’t there a part of you that wants to live?!

10 Likes

Oh, also Yeesh - FFO early Cursive:

Skintight is a tune tbh tbf

lol why?

I cant claim to like anyone that obscure but I often lidten to These Arms Are Snakes and think its a shame they never got big, ridiculously good band

2 Likes

They got a little bit of attention on here, but Strange Ranger (formerly Sioux Falls) has very few listeners on last.fm. I know I’m in the minority but I thought “Rot Forever” was the best album (or at the very least the best non-radiohead album) of 2016. 72 minutes long and not a second wasted. If you like This Is a Long Drive / Fruit that Ate Itself era Modest Mouse you’ll probably like them - it’s one of those cases where the influence is heavy but they’re completely doing their own thing. Their back catalog of EPs on their bandcamp is great too, especially “Odds n Ends” and “Big Krackel”.

Also someone on here recommended “Fuck I’m a Ghost” back in the Ugly Casanova thread.

Burning Brides (fronted by Dmitri from OFF!) were a great band that shoud have been much bigger, and probably would have been if they had come out a few years before or after they did. The way he stacked riffs together was amazing. Their first and third albums are fantastic, and the second one has some of the best songs they’ve ever done too. The outro to this song is so good:

I’m not sure how unknown they are (I think their latest album may have gotten some attention) but Mr. Gnome’s 2008 album “Deliver this Creature” was something else. This song in particular - it’s almost like if you mix Black Sabbath / Kyuss with “Siva” by the Pumpkins and a bit of HTTT-era Radiohead.

1 Like

Came here to post this :smiley:

but I don’t understand

Probably as big as a band their style could have got though?

It’s a lyric (almost) from this

ooooooooooooooh! lol okay hahaha

Just posting on this so I remember to come back and listen.

2 Likes

Did someone mention Spanish bands from Primavera? Emma Bakia’s my favourite, saw them at Primavera 2002 and still listen to them regularly 15 years later and don’t think I’ve ever seen them mentioned anywhere. Here’s probably my favourite album:

1 Like

Got that Burning Brides album somewhere. Really liked the song Arctic Snow. Might dig it out and see what I think of it now

1 Like

Sometimes find some great stuff on soundcloud.

Kinda electronic lo-fi soundscapes with crunchy bits

a bit folktronica-y if I remember correctly

Shoe gaze goodness

There’s millions more, that’s just a few recent ones I’ve been into. So many talented people doing it for no money or recognition, simultaneously inspiring and depressing

1 Like