Amazing material from bands 'past their prime'

Was listening to Spitting Venom by Modest Mouse and forgot how amazing this song is and how it could have come out from a band widely regarded as being past their prime and wanted more examples.

Until I get these examples let me just gush over how amazing Spitting Venom is as a song and how very few indie rock bands can come close to writing a song this good in their prime yet alone past their prime.

“Spitting Venom” is incredible, as is “Parting of the Sensory” from that same album.

Actually listening to this album now… yknow what, fuck it this album is actually much better than I remember it being

i always thought it was a pretty decent album really. loved it when it came out but obviously now aware they’ve got much better records. miles better than their latest at any rate.

The last album I still enjoy but cant help its a bit lacking in dynamics which hurts it a lot.

Also, The Smashing Pumpkins reunion has produced a lot of great material, don’t believe the general narrative. I’ll limit myself to 5 for now:

“Glissandra”
“Oceania”
“United States”
“Zeitgeist”
“Gossamer”

Always really liked We Were Dead, listened to it loads when it came out. Little Motel’s really good too.

I would say “Fade” by Yo La Tengo, but I think that part of their charm is that with age and discography they’re aging into their prime.

That’s The Way My Love Is is great****

would be what everyone would be saying if it was mastered differently.

never got into the latest at all beyond 2 or 3 decent tracks.

Yeah I was obsessed with that album when it came out, and still love it. The older Modest Mouse albums are my favorite much like most people, but that shouldn’t take away from the new ones.

Yeah totally. Though I do feel a lot of the weak songs on that album would be elevated if the was more punch when needed and less volume when it wasnt. A lot of the songs, at their core at least, were pretty strong

also more recently:

Also I should clarify that ‘past their prime’ doesnt mean ‘when they were shit’ :smiley:

Past-prime Built to Spill is also great. “Things Fall Apart” is one of their best songs.

And Neil Young might have written his best song in 2012:

The Afghan Whigs comeback album was fantastic too - if these two songs had been released as one, it would be up there with their best.

A few more, and trying to go with the general consensus of “past their prime” and not just mine (with the exception of stubbornly refusing to consider Hard Candy by Counting Crows as past their prime. Also not going to open the Radiohead / Mogwai / Deftones / The National / QOTSA can of worms):

Foo Fighters - "White Limo"
Pearl Jam - "Sleight of Hand"
Counting Crows - "Cowboys"
Mars Volta - "In Absentia"
Flaming Lips - "Butterfly How Long It Takes to Die"
Blink 182 - "Natives"
Trail of the Dead - "Bus Lines"
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - "Blameless"
Wilco - "Taste the Ceiling"
Blur - "Pyongyang"
Interpol - “Anywhere