An American Wants To Know.. (Rolling)

Hello those of you that may not know me I am from the United States of America. In this thread I will ask questions of my fellow DiSer’s that I am confused about and would like better knowledge and information on, no googling for me ladies and gents. Discussions obviously welcome. So let’s get started then.

An american wants to know: What the fuck is lebkuchen and is their shortage of said item in the UK because everyone seems to be eating it all of a sudden?

8 Likes

It’s a delicious soft gingerbread/spiced biscuit, pronounced, ‘le booch ken’, popular around Christmas, that I believe to be of German origin.

3 Likes

Excellent, thank you kind sir. Sounds delicious.

An American wants to know.

Why is a football field called a pitch?

34 Likes

Can we also ask you questions we have about America?!

2 Likes

Very good

Fixed that for you :+1:

2 Likes

Highly encouraged.

1 Like

I didn’t want to get reemed for that one! :laughing:

2 Likes

An Englishman wants to know:

Why is it call American Football

5 Likes

It’s also very cheap and seems to last pretty well without going stale.

2 Likes

They like to say its traced back to the rugby style of kicking and running with said ball. But its mainly because we are lazy and couldn’t come up with a new name from an existing game throughout the world.

2 Likes

I’ve never heard of this either, can you get it in England?

Why is it called the World Series when the rest of the world aren’t a part of it?

7 Likes

Once again the USA trying to big and brave with ludicrous names for the global stage (i.e. Super Bowl champion is crowned the “world” champion, when the only other decent sized league outside of the US is the CFL in Canada).

They try to incorporate it as the league having players from around the world, therefore the “world” series. Everyone knows its a joke. Great question! Thanks for participating.

6 Likes

Is there ever like a one off game between NFL and CFL champions like a ‘super cup’ as in Rest of World Football?

No, but I would very much support this.

3 Likes

Still looking for an answer why a football field is called a pitch?

Think it refers to the actual playing surface and the prep of it.