Anathema - The Optimist (2017)

anathema
theoptimist
distantsatellites
weathersystems
kscope

Anathema fans? new album “The Optimist” comes out on June 9th.

Personally I love their last 3 records Distant Satellites, Weather Systems and We’re Here Because We’re Here.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/anathema/anathema-reveal-details-cover-artwork-for-new-studio-album-the-optimist/10155255551173629/

haven’t listened to them in over a decade, pretty much since a fine day to exit actually. do they still sound the same?

I knew this would be @allmediareviews before I clicked the thread!

Whoever you are, wherever you’re from, thank you for being our resident prog cheerleader.

Why not set up a rolling prog thread? If you don’t, I will.

yep

I was a big fan of the era between the doomy and prog stuff (Alternative 4/Judgement) back in the day but the ‘new’ stuff doesn’t really do anything for me. Did manage to catch them live for the first time last year though and enjoyed it despite only knowing the last song.

judgement is great isn’t it. i’m gonna bang it on.

if there isn’t already one, sure. I honestly don’t recall how I came to this forum, but someone sent me an invite like 6 months ago.

I’m not sure, but it may have been related to the merger/transition(demise) of the old absolutepunk message board.

I know there are people into progressive rock here, but it’s still hardly a favorite of the majority. Absolutepunk was similar, although it seems a lot of the bands I’m into had some hardcore fans (The Mars Volta for one). I’m not sure if this site is the case.

Just made one, and I’ve posted a very tasty video to get things started!

Fan of all eras but I am starting to get a bit tired of the current style. Distant Satellites was pretty lacklustre in my opinion and it’s time for a change up. I appreciate they bought in some new electronic flourishes on the last album, but I didn’t think they were particularly well done or interesting. I hate to say it, but I just find the current direction very “wet” lyrically and musically. I worshiped We’re Here Because We’re Here when it came out but I struggle to go back to it now.

1st single "Springfield"

There’s a bit of weight and darkness to it again. Nice.