šŸŽ¬ And... ACTION! #1: Christopher Nolan šŸŽ¬

Shall we discuss some directors? As we are all, so Iā€™m told, waiting with baited breath for ā€˜Tenetā€™ this summer, it makes sense for us to start with Nolan.

Feel free to rate Nolan as a director too, thatā€™s a good idea right?

0 voters

Letā€™s see how this goes. So, what do you think of, I donā€™t know, The Dark Knight Returns?

Are we not picking our favourite moving pictures of his from a nicely laid out poll please

Andā€¦ ACTION

2 Likes

The Prestige is a very good film. Most of his other ones are fine.

3 Likes

Whatā€™s your fave 3?

• Doodlebug
  • Following
  • Memento
  • Insomnia
  • Batman Begins
  • The Prestige
  • The Dark Knight
  • Inception
  • The Dark Knight Rises
  • Interstellar
  • Dunkirk

0 voters

watched the prestige recently and thought it was great fun
reckon he should only be allowed to make films about old timey magicians etc. rather than men in suits having dreams about other men in suits

5 Likes

Overrated director imo.

7 Likes

if anyone can think of a better name for these thread Iā€™m all ears

a generous 3.

Loved memento but never had a desire to watch it again.

Enjoyed Batman Begins (but again, why would I want to watch it again?).

Dark Knight was terrible. Thought the prestige was massively overrated and quite annoying. Not bothered with anything else heā€™s done since.

thinking about it, downgrading to a 2.

1 Like

I donā€™t get on with him at all. HATE Memento, couldnā€™t give a fuck about Batman, most of the others bore me. Really did like Inception at the time but havenā€™t seen it since, probably wonā€™t as I like the memory. The Prestige is pretty good.

2/5 for me.

1 Like

I saw it.

(itā€™s the front-runner atm)

how director are they really

13 Likes

Rewatched Memento a few days ago, great film, well executed

4 Likes

Iā€™m glad he exists. Someone who actually values the act of seeing a film in a place designed for watching films being as powerful within the industry as he is can only be a good thing as far as Iā€™m concerned.

I also think his films are largely great for what they are. People hate him for that ā€œfilms that stupid people think are cleverā€ thing but I think that making big blockbusters that are somewhat thought provoking that also make a fucking shittonne of money is a valuable thing for the industry.

A lot of Michael Mann rip-off stuff (which he cops to tbf) and Iā€™d imagine heā€™s a bit of a dickhead but I think heā€™s broadly a force for good.

31 Likes

Think most of his films have massive pacing issues.

entirely agree with this post, and yet his films donā€™t click with me at all. Itā€™s really frustrating.

Thatā€™s fine though innit. Those two things can coexist.

I donā€™t think there are many people worse at writing female characters mind you and ā€œI need some sort of sad motivator for my protagonistā€¦ I know, a dead wife!ā€ is getting way beyond parody now.

1 Like

Seen more of his than I thought I had

Memento 3/5
Insomnia 4/5 - really nails the feeling of insomnia
Batman Begins - 4/5
The Prestige -3/5
The Dark Knight -5/5
Inception -4/5? Maybe? Need to rewatch
The Dark Knight Rises -2/5
Interstellar -3/5
Dunkirk -3/5