🎬 And... ACTION! #2: Ridley Scott

0 voters

Time to have a chat about Ridley Scott.

Will close the Nolan poll in a few days BTW.

Fave 3?

• The Duellists
  • Alien
  • Blade Runner
  • Legend
  • Someone to Watch Over Me
  • Black Rain
  • Thelma and Louise
  • White Squall
  • G I Jane
  • Gladiator
  • Hannibal
  • Black Hawk Down
  • Matchstick Men
  • Kingdom of Heaven
  • A Good Year
  • American Gangster
  • Body of Lies
  • Robin Hood
  • Prometheus
  • The Counselor
  • Exodus
  • The Martian
  • All The Money in the World
  • Alien Covenant

0 voters

Prometheus and other less good sci fi films

2 Likes

Voted for the 3 that I’ve seen. Seen Gladiator too but it’s a big poo.

1 Like

Thelma & Louise is a proper good film though

14 Likes

Alien and Blade Runner are two of my top 20 of all time. Hard not to give him a 5 just for that.

Thelma and Louise is also a good film.

Don’t get the love for Gladiator.

Prometheus was fun, I don’t care what anyone says.

The rest, no thank you.

Remember when Cameron Diaz fucked that windscreen in The Counselor?

2 Likes

Didn’t realise that was ridley scott, utterly dire, and for some reason always on heavy repeat on film4

Screenshot_20200813-005511

A baffling waste of this cast

Nope, that’s Kevin Reynolds apparently. The Ridley one is the 2010 reboot with Russell Crowe that I don’t remember

Imagine watching Prometheus and not just abjectly hating it.

4 Likes

Good range as a director. Is that a thing people say about directors? Having made thelma and louise + blade runner is a good demonstration of his range

1 Like

That cast, Cormac McCarthy screenplay, Ridley Scott directing. Never has a film so under-delivered.

2 Likes

Despite 3 stone cold classics (maybe 4 inc. Black Hawk Down, used to love it but probably problematic) I actually think he’s the less good Scott brother overall.

4/5 though still.

1 Like

“You’ve got dead ears, mate”

5 Likes

I mean undoubtedly Alien is one of the true great films. Blade Runner and Gladiator are not far behind and I trust the reviews of Thelma and Louise I’ve heard over the years.

But Hannibal is one of the worst films ever made and Prometheus.is not far behind. I never even got past the first 15 mins or Legend. I recall seeing Someone to Watch Over Me and it was just nothing special and The Martian is fine but manages to be less tense than Apollo 13, a film where you actually know they’ll survive.

I think his cinematographic eye is amazing, and his attention to details too. The problem is he doesn’t seem to have much in the way of quality control. His ideas for Alien to emphasise the space trucker classist societal aspects are great, but when you watch Prometheus it’s hard to think anything other than that he thinks plots are almost completely irrelevant.

Hannibal is just a mess. It looks gorgeous, and the acting is top notch just did no one actually look at the story and realise it was complete bollocks?

Anyway, great looking films; patchy as fuck.

But worse than Hannibal?!

(I too had real trouble picking 3.)

Why is the Hovis ad skimmed over?

3 Likes

Kind of hate this ad.

1 Like

To be fair, Hannibal is one of the worst books ever written. They had to change the ending to save it from being totally abject. The author had obviously fallen too far in love with Hannibal Lecter at the expense of any narrative coherence or realistic character arcs. Shame, because Silence is genuinely one of my favourite films of all time.

Yerrrp. I recall reading about it. In fact I thought that was one of the reasons Foster wouldn’t return?

It’s such a mess. Who is the hero here? I mean I guess it’s meant to be Hannibal but he’s beyond ‘anti-heroic’ in any serious sense. Gary Oldman playing a guy who’s meant to be even worse so they can sort of imply that Hannibal is the lesser of the two evils or something is just incredible bollocks.