Angel Olsen 2020

Barcelona Razzmatazz :wink: Enero 26

4 Likes

this is super

I’ve decided, listening to it again today, that My Woman is on my AOTD list. Just phenomenal

4 Likes

Hype levels for Barras escalating after that.

She is phenomenal.

Not really into the new songs :frowning:

Hoping they’ll click better when I hear the album.

3 Likes

I would agree with this actaully. For me they sound over produced and have this big synth sound, which I’m not feeling. I prefer the gritty, rocky Olsen.

Like you, hoping it all falls into place when I hear the album.

2 Likes

Same here, not feeling them, especially the previous track. I’m more of a Burn Your Fire kinda guy anyway so maybe the new sound/direction just isn’t for me. Video wise, couldn’t help but think of Julie Andrews in the Sound Of Music with those hilltop shots.

I adore these new songs, glad she changed things up and has gone all Kate Bush

Same here. Love the first two minutes of ‘Lark’ but I feel like it descends into mush after that. ‘All Mirrors’ does nothing for me too.

I have an issue with almost everything John Congleton produces though. It’s like he’s turned the wet/dry mix most of the way to wet and it swamps the tracks.

2 Likes

See that The Guardian are keeping up their odd opening paragraphs for reviews “8.8 from Pitchfork”.

Basically record label puts out albums the publication that is not us thinks are good.

Listened to it this morning before work. ‘Tonight’ an early standout. Enjoying it more than I thought I would too!

Joke’s on you Petridis, it got 8.9!

2 Likes

I really like the lush strings going on here

This. The songs are almost uniformly great, and she’s wonderful, but the whole thing feels quite flat - no air in it. Typical Congleton, who’s produced some of my most ‘disappointing’ albums of recent years.

Reads a bit weird doesn’t it.

Obviously it’s a positive review but I think AP has tied himself in knots a bit in trying to pitch the album to the perceived readership.

1 Like

Keep expecting the words “Starring Kyle MacLachlan” to appear in front me of while listening to this last track

3 Likes

Yeah, I’m finding this to be an issue. Loving a lot of the songs but a bit annoyed that her voice is so muffled. That might be her choice though and we’re getting the stripped down album in a few months so I’m not too concerned.

2 Likes

Also finding it a bit flat, just don’t think it is a style of production that lends itself to my ear. Will stick with it for more liss though to see if I can hear through that to the songs.