Animal Collective Thread (rolling)

Spot on. Or in short, one is very good and the other is shit.

1 Like

They have four fantastic albums (and Person Pitch is excellent too), which is four more than many acts manage. Even if they never do anything decent again, I’m not too fussed.

1 Like

ITT Loads of hot take’s about Painting With.

Solid 9/10 for me…think you guys are getting confused with Centipede Hz - which isn’t great, agreed (assuming I’m right about you guys confusing both albums).

‘’‘’‘’‘’‘‘Although’’‘’‘’‘’‘’‘’‘’‘’

Having just listened to Hair Cutter: If this is an indication for the general sound / feel for the rest of the album, then I fear that The NME may be correct.

proper headphones album, this. really need to be in the mood for it – but it holds up really well imo

Loch Raven is a beaut. Tends to be under appreciated.

1 Like

They did a magnificent version of that on the Painting With tour. Proper transcendent pagan woodland folk jam.

4 Likes

To give some idea:

Having now listened to Tangerine Reef I can see that the NME reviewer clearly made the mistake of thinking of this as their next proper studio album, when it’s much more of a little experimental aside. Very much continues on from Meeting of the Waters and Eucalyptus.

1 Like

Oh brilliant, cannot get enough of Eucalyptus.

Floridada was a banger too and I was actually excited for Painting With but meh

Floridada is catchy and annoying at the same time. i’ve never been able to decide if it’s pretty good or absolutely shit.

i don’t remember Centipede Hz being that bad tbh. i was underwhelmed by it more because i’d lost interest in them and couldn’t be bothered with it but i don’t remember it being actively bad or particularly annoying. i remember really liking Today’s Supernatural and not caring about much else on it, but didn’t have to turn it off after a couple of songs like i did with Painting With.

haven’t tried to listen to it in ages though so maybe it’s worse than i remember

Always thought Amanita from Centipede Hz was a banger:

1 Like

I like this one - the main riff sounds to me like it’s played on glowing crystals:

This one’s wonderful too:

Applesauce is good.

Where should I start with these guys? What’s the most accessible album?

Merriweather Post Pavilion (most accessible). then Strawberry Jam (the best).

increasingly unsure if the rest is worth bothering with really but if you like those two and want more then go for Feels after that

3 Likes

Imagine not recommending feels ffs

7 Likes

Feels / Merriweather / Strawberry Jam would be my go-to first albums to dive into, they’re all amazing. Then explore the rest, where you’ll also fine some lesser gems.

1 Like