Animal Farm

Why did George Orwell call it “Animal Farm”?

Is it because he was worried people might buy it and be disappointed that it wasn’t about turnips arguing with each other?

1 Like

I think it’s cause it’s about some animals on a farm

4 Likes

I thought it was supposed to be about the Russian revolution.

2 Likes

You’re thinking of Trotsky’s History of the Russian Revolution

4 Likes

Wonder if Animal Farm has a character called Trottersky

2 Likes

Kind of surprised nobody’s tried writing a half-arsed update/pastiche based on the last twelve/twenty five years of British government.

The animated film was part funded by the CIA :unamused:

1 Like

In the pocket of Big Arable.

2 Likes

I’m sure Matt Forde will be conplaining in 5 yeara that no one read his book of exactly that

1 Like

Yeah on the other hand I’m not in the least surprised that I was totally ignorant of that!

1 Like

I’m imagining George Osborne depicted as a malevolent chicken.

the phrase ‘Psychological Warfare Workshop’ is about as Orwellian as you can get

1 Like

Matt Hancock was a minor character who didn’t make it to the final draft

1 Like

Matt Hancockerel*

2 Likes

at least 60% of the people I met in university had notions of doing exactly this only for whatever ground their particular gears.

1 Like

Yeah I’m guessing the real answer is “because it would just be a bit too much effort”.

Also a fan of the specificity of the 60% figure there :smiley:

1 Like

The other 40% were of the “I think Batman should be more fascist” variety tbf

1 Like

he wrote a book before AF called “adventures of the littlest pig”, but Victor Gollancz of Gollancz press told him that this was too juvenile a title (and indeed story) to land properly with the chin-strokers who subscribed to their books.

So he rewrote it, a touch more adult. But yes: that’s why.

2 Likes

Reckon it wasn’t political then when people drew comparisons he blagged it, was about a farm

3 Likes