Any interest in a thread about (light-hearted) childhood disappointments?

Very smart move

Our kids found my wife’s ones in a box I pulled down from the roofspace. They’ve got the orange one in that picture and a white swan thing.

I had the orange one! I remember locking a mince pie and an after eight in mine on Christmas Day. Weird the things you remember!

1 Like

i never had a Mr Frosty as a kid, so we got one for our daughter. Worst ice crushed I’ve ever used, rather just put the ice in a bag and smack it with a rolling pin. The penguin syrup dispenser is well cute though :penguin:

My dad once told me I could have one pound for every sea shell I picked up from a beach near his friend’s house. I run over, quite excited only to find the tide is all the way in

1 Like

I’ve got some bad news for you

1 Like

remember being in Derry shopping with my mum one evening around Halloween and she stopped to talk to a friend who mentioned that he was on his way to Marks & Sparks. to me this sounded like some kind of fireworks display and i really wanted to go and sobbed when my mum fobbed me off by telling me it was just Marks & Spencer, which i didn’t believe for a second.

4 Likes

I wrote to Jim’ll Fix It asking to have a ride in a James Bond car. I was very disappointed that they never even wrote back to me :grimacing:

The Spring/Summer editions of the Argos or Kays catalogue, with only a small toy section at the back.

Got a Scalectrix for Christmas one year that broke on the first go because I squeezed the throttle too hard, another year got a big stupid Hotwheels loop-de-loop thing that never, ever worked. All subsequent years I received Lego which never let me down.

Don’t know anyone who was looking at the toys section of the Kay’s catalogue mate…

2 Likes

That was later on, when I’d grown out of toys.

The bras and knickers, right?

1 Like

Carriage clocks

1 Like

Thank you for preventing me repeating an anecdote on DiS and saving my humiliation. [Although obviously I am now humiliated by my inability to type “humiliation” correctly first time.]

Got some non-Scalextrix Scalextrix (presumably it was cheaper) and it worked twice before breaking, but I didn’t want to tell my mum because I thought she’d be upset at having gotten me a shit present rather than being upset myself at having received a shit present. Which is quite fucked up behaviour for a child, if you think about it.

Still hate presents to this day.

It’s very empathetic behaviour for a child actually and speaks volumes about you x

2 Likes

Very near my home town is Otter Nurseries

1 Like

Count yourself lucky. I got a ladies fold up bicycle from a car boot sale.

Desperately wanted and never got one of these

1 Like