Any music related resolutions?

I’m going to pay a lot of attention to the weekly new album threads next year as I discovered a few great acts this year through it.

4 Likes

Stick out a record I’m proud of.

2 Likes

I did a bit of work for Endlesss this year and having never made music before I quickly found myself making loops and interesting sounds. Well worth downloading (it’s free so this isn’t some kinda JAG!)

2 Likes

I look forward to understanding this

1 Like

You’re in for a treat :smile:

1 Like

Ooo, great shout! Thanks for that Sean!

1 Like

Gonna try to not buy physical records unless I’ve already listened to the album, let’s say, three times and am sure I like it enough to actually play it. Reckon 50% of what I bought this year was on the strength of just one or two songs or liking previous albums, but was only put on once or twice because I didn’t really like the whole album so much.

1 Like

Life’s too short to be bored to death

4 Likes

release me fookin album

in terms of listening, I don’t really know - I usually go oscillate between “I need to listen to more new music I’ve not heard before” and “I need to focus on listening more to what I already have and getting into the albums I got earlier in the year”

3 Likes

Listen to more new albums from start to finish and get less lazy with shuffle.

Spotify used to give me lots of useful new stuff (well new to me) when i started to use it but that seems to gone off a cliff - it’s like it has decided it has my taste down (it really really doesn’t) and keeps churning out the same songs (if i like one or more songs by an artist why not ping me a deep cut of theirs?) on the daily mix things and the discover playlist doesn’t seem particularly tuned to anything that might ring my bell or anything current that isn’t just something that, i suspect, they have been incentivised to plug.

Also want to organise getting as much neil young onto my phone so i can listen to it offline as possible as it doesn’t look like he’s coming back to spotify.

Really regret the move to spotify but now that I’ve done it i can’t imagine how much cash I’d have to spunk to buy the stuff I’ve gotten into since i started down the spotify path - what a disgusting sentence, i feel like a prick typing it. I can only square it in my head by thinking about all the £££ that i spent from 14-39ish on music and that i continue to spend on merch and gigs.

3 Likes

Try to be less obsessive about listening habits.

Try to spend more time listening to classics I know & love. I feel like whenever I’m trying to think of something to listen to I’m mostly reaching for newer stuff that I’m getting familiar with, and that’s fine, but I feel like the new stuff is always more top of mind and older records don’t come to mind easily enough. Keeping up with new music often feels like a big chore, even though I do get enjoyment out of it.

Try to not dig too deep into genres I like. Diminishing returns and all that, just enjoy the good stuff.

Have made a Twitter thread with a few ideas if you fancy sharing

Or share on Facebook or to your Instagram story