Any other poor people here?

Just wanted to say hi to my fellow broke folk!

7 Likes

ok cool

Define people

6 Likes

i was going to say me but remembered i’m not anymore tbh. still have some weird poor people instincts with money though, like a hamster stuffing food in my cheeks.

Define poor

Hiya lifelong poor here. was in Halifax the other day cause they’ve introduced a new way of charging for overdrafts. (Percentage of the amount that you’re into it) meaning I’ll be paying £50 a month instead of just £30. The lady was really nice and suggested a loan to take out to cover it. which although is very depressing is probably what I’ll do. Anyway I said that I’ll definitely be on the same wage for two years during university and she said it’s ok cause when I finish university I’ll have a better paid job so paying off the loan will be easier. Someone’s probably got a better recent being poor story than that. it’s just my recent one is all.

1 Like

having less money than you feel you need to achieve a basic level of happiness or productivity.

I’m not talking starvation level poor, apologies to anyone struggling to eat or with the threat of sleeping on the streets

thanks for your contribution :slight_smile: Hope your situation improves quicker than you think

1 Like

I think I would struggle to know rich people, it’s hard enough on here sometimes, I try my best not to hold it against anyone on a personal level but it’s tough seeing people have such interesting lives when you are stuck with no future.

3 Likes

I really wish I had been better at keeping the money I had earnt over the years, guess that’s why I’m still poor

Empathise with most of your post, but this in particular.

I’ve got various mates dropping £500 on gaudy pairs of trainers, close to a grand on a new coat and constantly talking about the next holiday they’re booking.

Objectively, I’m nowhere near poor. But other people don’t half make me feel it. It’s compounded, of course, by previously living in Liverpool, Birmingham and Berlin where I was spending much much less, of course.

3 Likes

good job I love going for walks and listening to podcasts because they don’t cost me anything as I havean ipod and they are both great things

1 Like

not the ipod wouldn’t buy one again

yeah, it’s hard to maintain or create new social situations with no money though, I mean if you are single and can’t go anywhere I don’t know how you can find new paths in life.

This must be a way in which being poor in a small town is different to poor in a city? I imagine it’s scarier and more hostile in a lot of ways but I guess you’re potentially in a hub area of different activities, maybe some are free? Museums are free right? That’s something I would do if I was poor and living in a city, love looking at old Roman busts and things

3 Likes

I’m very lucky though to have a friend locally who likes going for walks and doing boring old people stuff that doesn’t cost us money.

5 Likes

thanks buddy :slight_smile: Have to try and work through the difficulties of life, I do try not to have a moan too much these days but sometimes it can help to vent and relate to folks in a similar situation

1 Like

Can’t afford basic home furnishings, any sort of fancy foods or any sort of records/books/cultural things I might like - but can make my rent and bills which I suppose is enough to be thankful for. It fucking isn’t though, I feel like throwing myself in traffic most days but that’s human misery.

7 Likes

Sup

2 Likes

Poor in love, maybe.

I think everyone needs a sense of purpose and to feel like they are working towards something even if it could be only relative or kind of a lie to yourself. Never having any money outside of just surviving robs people of that sense of purpose which I think is like a form of torture. It’s really very painful to swallow that sense of being trapped for years on end. Lucky for me I can lie to myself about my music or art sometimes, it’s a big help!

3 Likes