Any other poor people here?

Hope you are finding life in Spain easier in this respect :slight_smile:

1 Like

You’re right, there’s a Nietzsche quote that basically goes something like if there’s a why you can live any how. A creative hobby, a job you enjoy, even fulfilling relationship/family links can do that. But I don’t really have any of that.

1 Like

Unsure on Nietzsche overall but that is a beautiful quote.

It’s cheaper for sure, but the only reason I’ve been able to move is because my parents took me in for a few months so I could save, have got extremely lucky with work, and have a massive network of family here i can lean on. Extremely fortunate and grateful for that because it would have been nigh on impossible any other way.

Fuck poverty.

3 Likes

that’s really nice that you have cool Spanish family who love you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

really doubt that’s the reason pal. you shouldn’t have to hoard a necessity for life.

yeah like many things it’s a mixture, I do feel I’ve done myself no favours with dropping out of university (not that a philosophy degree would have done anything for me anyway I’m sure),spending years doing a minimum wage job I didn’t like and making no effort to change.

I have 2 kids and a wife on maternity leave. So am pretty poor, for now, kind of

are you coping ok with the situation??

Only been properly broke for a matter of months as I was mega poor growing up, and there wasn’t a chance in hell I was getting to the end of the week with nothing to eat, or not being able to afford a coat if the arm ripped, or whatever. So I’ve saved by not going on holiday, never eating out, not driving and it’s only recently I’m a little bit more confident I’m not going to end up on the street if I buy a new pair of shoes.

It is absolutely miserable being stuck, and anyone in that situation has my sympathy.

5 Likes

Yep if it’s one thing being poor growing up does to you, it’s ensuring that it will forever be impossible to do anything but save for a “rainy day” before having to fritter it on shit you won’t enjoy.

3 Likes

Gonna restart the thing you were writing? Second draft is always better they say! Everyone except burroughs anyhoo.

I will not be very well off when I move out, but for now living at my mum’s I don’t have so many expenses which I am very grateful for. Will probably never be that well off as I have basically no prospects for full time employment :-1:

:frowning: try not to lose hope!

I’m still living off my student overdraft, the money I earn every month is never enough to get me out of it (at which point I’d have £0).

I have about £2.80 and I don’t know when I next have money coming in. 31st is my student loan but that’s all taken up with student stuff, I am working on wednesday but I have to invoice them and so it’s a 30 day wait at least to be paid for that.

wouldnt say poor but after rent/bills, i find it quite hard to do anything nice

I am dreading this period of life in a few months

Sorry I can cant afford to lend you anything right now, hope you make it through to your payment ok

A tough cycle, sorry man