Any tips for finding people to play music with?

Does anyone have tips for reaching out and connecting to other musicians looking to play together? After a long break I have the itch to play again but am now living in a different city where I have little to no connections to other musicians. Am in the process of doing the most obvious things I can think of (“Band Members Wanted” posters around town, posting in these classified boards, etc.) and have joined a few sites like bandmix.com, but the latter don’t seem very useful unless you pay for premium accounts, etc.

Thanks in advance for all useful suggestions, especially any that relate to Oxford (UK) in particular!

Before a last mintue speall check this thread was titled “Any tips for finding people to play with?”

you can get around the bandmix premium thing by just putting contact details in profile, they censor words and formats like Redirecting... but you can spell it out.

weirdly frustrating site, seems like it should be good, has proper profiles, ability to upload music and link to videos, yet the vast majority of people never even say what bands they like let alone have some music theyve made. also guess it is based on america so when you get emails of new users in your area it will be miles away. still think it is a good site to link to from elsewhere as you can put music, video, photos so gives a bit more personality than soundcloud alone

1 Like

ericVII is inviting you to a digital audition for TORTURED ABORTION CHRIST

All of those sites are awful but i dont think there’s one good way really, just have to post on those, DiS forums, local rehearsal spaces, ask friends of friends etc. and hope for the best.

1 Like

Also everyone on there lists themselves as SINGER, GUITARIST, KEYBOARD, UKELELE, PIANO, CLARINET, etc player even though it’s like they played for a month in junior school so the search is pretty hopeless.

1 Like

Hugely struggling with this myself. Have been using Bandmix and Joinmyband to advertise. It’s a frustrating experience, esp. if you’re not primarily interested in playing fucking awful 70s rock covers in depressing pubs with a bunch of men 25 years your senior.
That said, I’ve met up and played with a couple of people via those sites, and it’s been OK - and I’m living somewhere that’s much more of a cultural desert than Oxford, which is a great city for music.
Probably the best thing would be to go to lots of gigs and try to meet people who have similar tastes to you (I myself am a complete failure at doing this)

1 Like

I live in Oxford and want to start playing music again

1 Like

What do you play/what kinds of music are you into? :slight_smile:

I play guitar. Mostly I’m into shoegaze/hardcore/post-rock etc. I’ll send you a message!

favourite band: Arctic Monkeys

cheers, good luck