Anybody fancy a game of Pitchfork Predictor?

Music has the right to children, F#A#(infinity), and ITAOTS - 1998 had some p4k essentials, tbf.

2 Likes

They gave the reissue a huge score didn’t they? Pretty much that album has gone full circle to “cool” again (rightfully)

It’s got to be Destiny’s Child debut album, surely? Beyonce is now basically a goddess as far as they’re concerned.

1 Like

Lauryn Hill maybe (Ex-Factor must be in with a shout for song of the year if they go that far)

1 Like

Oh wow. so they did! That’s a complete shock to me. For some reason I had missed all of their reissue reviews. That’s very encouraging, though I’m of course baffled and infuriated by their comment about “Blank Page” being filler (one of my top ten SP songs and the last segment of my favorite three song sequence in all of music). And comparing Machina to Batman & Robin may have quietly taken a year off my life. But it’s nice to see them send some positive comments in Billy’s direction - Mellon Collie is my favorite era of music, but Adore might be the best album.

Good call. Will definitely be top 5.

1998 was an amazing year for me in terms of quality but not quantity. I think I only have about a dozen or so albums that I love or like from that year so far:

The Smashing Pumpkins - Adore
Eels - Electro-shock Blues
Elliott Smith - XO
Sparklehorse - Good Morning Spider
Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane over the Sea
Pearl Jam - Yield
QOTSA - s/t
Afghan Whigs - 1965
Pedro the Lion - It’s Hard to Find a Friend
Alkaline Trio - Goddamnit
System of a Down - s/t
Jerry Cantrell - Boggy Depot
764-HERO - Get Here and Stay

(The Mercury Rev, PJ Harvey, Cat Power, and Unwound albums from 1998 are on my to-do list for this year)

I know I complain about them a lot but hopefully i’ll find at least a couple good albums I haven’t heard from this.

Referring you to this sub thread where we talk about how great 1998 was

3 Likes

Not really a fan of many of the albums listed. Besides, i think you can point to any year and say there were good albums released, think you need to go a bit further to mark it out as ‘pivotal’.

I understand PF are going with the change in technology angle, which might be fair but not sure it really changed our listening habits immediately.

I mean it’s just an excuse to make a list that’ll get a load of clicks obviously. But it was a great year regardless

Got to admit the lists people have been making feature quite a few records i haven’t heard. Probably a strong year for genres i’ve never been massively into.

Would have thought if it’s not NMH, then Outkast or Lauryn Hill seem the likely alternatives.

1 Like

If Gang Starr make the top 10 I’m happy :fire:

They won’t :frowning:

I think Hill topping the list is a fair bet, yeah.

Maybe her old pal Pras will top the tracks list with the classic Ghetto Superstar!

Reading this and realizing 1998 may have very well been the shove that sent me off course - never to be a respectable homeowner with 2.5 kids or clean urine.

1 Like

You’re in for 4 treats with that lot.
The Moon Pix & Deserter’s Songs are career highlights imo.

2 Likes

Love it but quite surprised to see Boy With The Arab Strap so high.

really? they wank themselves silly of Belle & Sebastian in the U.S, especially P4K

Didn’t they give it 1/10 on its original release? Very different site these days of course.

2 Likes

oh, I’m sure they probably did, but as you say, early P4K is pure jokes