Anyone done the Yerevan to Tbilisi night train?

I think these guys did it…

Not gonna lie Jordan, I’m a bit disappointed there was no punchline

2 Likes

Sounds like a pretty mental trip!

What’s the scenery like? How long did it take? 6 days straight is it?
Do you know if you can hop on/hop off and take a couple of weeks to do the whole thing?

Obviously I could just look at something called this internet for this info!

I went in the winter (first week of feb maybe?) so daylight was a bit short, and it was super snowy, but I liked that - Baikal looked incredible, and it was quite bright and sunny from what I remember. My trip was 6 nights and 5 days (or 7 nights and 6 days?), and I went straight through. This was in 2006, so internet booking was a bit harder. I found out that it was something like £700 through a UK travel agent, £160 through a russian one, and £110 if you bought at Moscow train station, so I figured the extra £50 was reasonable to make sure I got a ticket a few months in advance (used fax at my work).

You could hop off and on if you sorted it out beforehand - from what I heard it’s fairly easy to sort, you just pay a small fee for each stop, and you need to make sure there’s availability - not an issue in the winter apparently, but can be in the summer. You obvs can’t get a ticket for a fully booked train, and there might not be another one for a couple of days if you’re pretty east.

Man in Seat 61 is your friend for up to date info - that website basically helps sort out all the train trips we go on!

Oh, and, er, make sure your visa hasn’t expired by the time you come to leave Russia :grimacing:

2 Likes

I actually went back in 2017 so conflict might well have cooled somewhat, that makes sense.

1 Like

All new material baby

1 Like

No but imagining Hagrid saying “Yerevan Harry!”

Who?

This is also appropriate for such a journey

1 Like

Thanks for this.
That Seat 61 website is brilliant!

1 Like