Anyone else noticed people trying to scam on the facebook events of smaller gigs recently?

No idea. Being able to sell tickets as you described is handy for people who genuinely can’t make it and need to sell their tickets last minute but the flipside of that is touts, scammers, etc. Reckon it could be easier if all tickets were non-physical and some ticket agencies invested in a system like the one I suggested, but they aren’t arsed who buys their tickets and what happens after that.

We got scammed with Vampire Weekend tickets on Saturday. I’d met up with the bloke and he ‘seemed’ legit. He’s still been in touch with us in the aftermath still claiming that they were legit. We rang Seetickets though and they told us that the Booking Ref was 2 years out of date.
We ended up paying in again annoyingly.

I love paper tickets :frowning:

2 Likes

loads on the fb event for lizzo tonight. not posting in the event which is how you’d usually sell tickets, but replying to every update the promoter posts with “due to a family emergency” blah blah whatever. exact same wording to each reply on each of the promoters posts, very odd

3 Likes

Yeah, someone tried to contact me about Girl Band after I posted on Facebook wanting tickets. Had a stock image/Instagram model profile pic
and quoted me the price in dollars!

Winding these people up is one of my favourote hobbies.

Screenshot_20190918-122755_Bixby%20Voice

56 Likes

please tell me you make a gig scrapbook <3

2 Likes

Have not yet but I’ve kept them all so plan to do so one day! Knowing about the handful of e-tickets that ruined my collection still haunts me, GBV being the worst of all :frowning:

I don’t like paying £3 for it to be sent in the mail, and then almost forgetting it when I’m half way to the train station

1 Like

Collect at the venue is my friend

1 Like

Found another one i did. ‘Remind me of the event again’ is a particular favourite line

Screenshot_20191111-140630_Gallery Screenshot_20191111-140640_Gallery

26 Likes

“If i sell them on I’ll pay you the extra £1” hahaha

4 Likes

Had someone on a gig we were playing at The Finsbury try to scam. A free entry gig that had about 15 people down as attending. Gotta love the ambition.

5 Likes

Enjoyed “Gift by name, gift by nature!” too

9 Likes

On a related note, set up a Twickets alert for this when I missed the date for tickets going on sale and I’ve never known them going so quickly. Got the alerts through to my work email and every time even when I’ve clicked on it quickly they’ve already gone.

Can’t really even be bothered to go anymore anyway, but there’s crazy demand for this/serious potential for people getting scammed.

tbf gf isnt feeling well so we might be trying to sell ours at the last minute. theres been a family emergency! not really but shes literally msging me right now about not feeling well

1 Like

Always find this with twickets - cos they have phone apps that do push notifications stuff flies out.

Finally got a Kate Tempest ticket back in the summer cos I was hiding in the loos reading DiS when one came through

2 Likes

Andyvine, Tampa Bay, FL

1 Like

That’s so shit :persevere: we got ours through Twickets, took me ages to get hold of a pair though because they were going so fast when they went up. First time I’ve been that venue and I was v unimpressed with the corporate avarice on display from O2. It’ll take a lot to get me to another gig there, horrible place.

I buy tickets off FB event pages all the time and never been scammed or even seen something that’s struck me as scammy. Sounds like I’ve been very very lucky.

1 Like

Tbh, I’ve not bought any before, but I have sold some on there. I noticed a few on Twickets but we have to sort out babysitters etc so can’t really wait until late on.
Didn’t really like the venue either, like a bigger Academy, but the gig was great.