Anyone here work(ed) as an archivist or similar?

I have some questions in relation with a job interview.

Yes worked at Kew gardens for a bit archiving stuff

That’s very kind of you to offer, but my interview is tomorrow morning :sweat_smile:

Also @RoverHendrix: Basically I’m trying to put into words why I want to do archival work, and the best I’ve got so far is just that I genuinely think it’s really interesting. While that’s a very genuine statement, I’d like to be able to be a bit more eloquent and impressive than that, so I guess I’m essentially wondering what you/anyone think(s) are the best things about this line of work. I understand that there are many different kinds of archives to work with etc, but still. (Paranoid about sharing too many details online about this as it is just an interview…)

1 Like

Sorry if this is really obvious stuff, but how about the requirement to present historical material to future generations OR make obscure material available to a worldwide audience.

I was always amazed how much stuff was just sitting around just collecting dust waiting to be catalogued.

1 Like

You also have the possibility that the things you are archiving are too delicate to ship out to researchers or that researchers from other countries may not be able to visit in person

1 Like

Dewey Decimal system was made by Melvin Dewey and he looked like this

1 Like

I can’t help but good luck in your interview!

2 Likes

Oh, and good luck!

1 Like

Thanks @RoverHendrix and @avocado! And the rest of you of course.

2 Likes

What about something about the role of archiving and digitisation in overcoming barriers and providing access to those who might not normally visit a museum/library/heritage site or engage with objects? This could cover those who might not usually choose to undertake such activities but also disability (e.g. audio descriptions for those who are blind/partially sighted etc.)

You might be able to link this with the company’s mission/objectives/values but also make sure you link it back to yourself and why that is important/of interest to you.

1 Like

You may have already looked but the ICA website might be useful: Mission, Aim and Objectives | International Council on Archives

Thank you! I have actually done some archive work at the ICA as an intern so this is very helpful, easy to relate to my own experience etc.

1 Like

Ah, perfect. Good luck with your interview!

1 Like

Hhahahaha, different ICA :joy: That’ll not teach me to actually read stuff before commenting

My American penpal is a Special Collection Librarian and Processing Archivist. She said I could pass on her email address and would be happy to help if she can?

Again, my interview is tomorrow morning and it’s a very general request I had so I don’t think that’s necessary – but thank you so much for offering! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Haven’t read the whole thread tbh!
Good luck :blush: I’m sure you’ll do brill x

1 Like

How did it go @whiterussian?

1 Like

I think it went ok, but won’t know anything until next week (it’s a public institution so lots of bureacracy to go through before the final decision is made).

I dreamt last night that they told me they didn’t think I did well at the interview, to which my response was to point out how their job ad was flawed because I lived up to everything in that :joy:

1 Like

That’s great, well done and fingers crossed for you. :crossed_fingers:

Haha that sounds like a good response. You could also critique their interviewing! :laughing: Don’t you love a good old anxiety dream?!

1 Like