Anyone up for a Moby Dick reading club? 🚣 🐳

about 800 i think

1 Like

oh no that is too many for me. hope you manage to finish it and actually enjoy it though

1 Like

:rofl:

just checked, mine’s just shy of 700.

and the text is pretty small

:grimacing:

I need to find a way to get back into the habit, and the idea that I’m reading as part of a group sounds good to me rn - it externalises the activity in a way that helps me get around feeling like complete shit.

3 Likes

surely not

lovely cover on that bad boy

1 Like

:slight_smile: yeh I love it! chose it specifically for that reason

1 Like

mine’s 620

what the heck, Herman

those penguins are in danger

4 Likes

reading this book has always been something of a white whale to me

haha I bet that’s the first time anyone’s ever made that joke!!!

(second time I’ve made it in two minutes)

3 Likes
  • read it
  • failed at reading it previously
  • not read it

0 voters

Wait till you get to the one about foreskins

1 Like

Fun story, the reason they’re that hideous lime green colour is that when they were concerned that a nicer colour would cannibalise sales from their full fat classic editions, they deliberately made them uglier (not as ugly as when they had out of copyright paintings and shit though).

Bartleby the Scrivener is only a short story / novella but it excellent, obviously no one read Typee or whatever though

I’ll read it with you eric, I keep meaning to go back to it so why not now.

There’s a decent podcast if you’re interested that discusses it chapter by chapter, haven’t heard much of it but it has some good guests

1 Like

never successfully made it through a companion podcast but guess i’ll give it a go

key question though: are they american?

jeez, an hour per chapter? hmm

I think I read billy budd or maybe I imagined it
Beau travail is based on it though, that’s for sure

3 Likes

“Reading aloud and Singing ensues”

good luck eric

1 Like

Found it a real slog first time I read it but really enjoyed it second time round and found the slower digression bits much more readable. Now up with my fave books but took some work to get there.